Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Monday, April 23, 2007

Mali - Day 0

A journey, they say, starts with a single step. In this case however, my journey starts with a delayed flight.

O R Tambo airport is pretty dead at 11pm at night. I must admit in all my years of travel, I can honestly say this is the latest I have ever taken a flight at the airport.

Did you know that all the duty free shops close at 10:30 pm? I did not know that.

Did you know that there is only one flight out of JHB after 11:30pm? I did not know that. When you think of Accra airport with many flights leaving after midnight, JHB is not quite the hub I thought.

That said, Kenya Airlines is living up to the reputation of a poor airline with their flight to Nairobi delayed until 02h25. That from an original departure of 00h40. Now we have issues. I have a connecting flight from Nairobi to Bamako. That flight is schedule to depart of 06h00. With the new departure time, we will land at 06h30.

In a normal world, that would fark up the connection totally and effectively I would be looking at spending 24 hours at the airport in Kenya. However it does appear Kenya Airways is an equal opportunity airline and the connecting flight to Bamako is also delayed. It now departs at 08h55. So? I score. I still make my connecting flight and the only thing that is lost is 3 hours overall. That of course assumes that 08h55 does not become 11h45 or something of that ilk.

The journey to Timbuktu has begun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home