Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Oh the Pain of it all!

Our company decided to arrange a sports day as a team building exercise.

We all joined in. The venue was the seedier side of Benoni (oh wait – Benoni is a pretty seedy place with one way streets), at an action cricket, soccer , netball type venue.

We played

2 games Action Netball
2 Games Action Footy
1 Game Action Cricket.

Now forgive me if I believed action netball was a chilled relaxed lasses sport.

One of my opponents ended the day sporting a graunch of note down his cheek as his face came between my bulk and the net. I did thank him for using his face to prevent my shirt from making contact with the netting as we slid down together. His groan did not escape me.

I sat on a poor lass who was given the job of shooting goals. I did apologise but I do think she is traumatized and will never come near an action netball field or me again.

Willie’s legs were removed from contact with the floor at Footy, and I did spend the rest of the afternoon apologizing (after the game you understand).

I was sore as I supped the first Captains of the evening. I went home early as I honestly could not find a position I could sit that did not make some aching muscle or tendon as indignantly “what the fuck did you think you were doing”

No nookie. I was too buggered and sore. Nessers did assist my giving me a massage, which to all intents only gave me smooth skin. I woke up this morning and groaned as I tried to move my left pinky. The rest of the body was worse.

I am now walking around like I have a very large carrot inserted in my anal cavity. (refer previous post to see that, that cavity was invaded already this week).

I am sore.

I am foolish.

It was a whole load of fun!!!

Our team was called the shooters – we used bugs as our “energy drink” – we shared the prize of the day for the team with the most “spirit”. For that I was not sure if it was team spirit or the fact that we were the only people having a shooter before each game.

I am also somewhat comforted by a copy of an email I received today in my email box, where one of the players who had applied for annual leave next week was requesting for the leave to be changed to sick leave due to the pain and myriad of injuries he suffered.

Yup

It definitely was a load of fun for all!!


Keep on smiling people – I know I am (through my grimace as I try to stand up)

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

*chuckle* This is so funny. Good thing there's lots of sport on TV this weekend so you at least have an excuse for not moving from the couch.

ps: I still think netball should be categorised as a contact sport.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home