Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Midweek again!

Another midweek blog as I wait patiently for a response from the help desk.

It is (once again) month end and all the goodies get tied up and put to bed for a round of reporting in the next 10 days.

For some really silly reason I am unable to get my head around processing receipts in this bloody JDE system. Now accept the fact that I have worked, set up and supported accounting systems since 1982. (yup – I am that old). I have also programmed in Dbase (Yup – really that old) and consider myself wise in the matters of computers.

Debtors receipts in all the systems I have cared to work on, work in the same way as Creditors Payments. Take receipt, process receipt, allocate to invoices. Simple stuff!

Not this system: For some reason it gives me no option to allocate my receipt. No matter where I look. Ergo: Help desk email.

The week has been interesting, as far as work is concerned:

We are once again short of vehicles and everyone scrambles to get available vehicles to go and do work. This is not assisted by the fact that one vehicle was sold as it was uneconomical to repair after the engine gave up the ghost, and another vehicle cracked its chassis. This is as a direct result of not been able to get spare parts and a “jury rig” got the vehicle back on the road. The jury rig was evidently not OEM and this resulted in a cracked chassis.

The joys!

No Sat access or cell phone signal for two days gave me the chance to complete all my mundane stuff that tends to pile up while you are doing more important goodies. So I was a happy lad.

Last night consisted of toddling off to the Civils house, having a beer and having a look at the PC that was giving issues. Diagnosis. Really bad telephone line that prevents decent email access.

Off home and day two of this weeks European footy: We had Man U playing on Channel 33, Chelsea on 23 and Porto on 25. Loads of Channel flicking took place from 8pm to 10pm and we had Man U losing (sad) Chelsea Losing (smile) and Porto drawing (ho hum). That put me in sleep mood and I did just that 

That’s my midweek update

Hope u all having fun:

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

aha, you might not have permissions to do that part of the transaction. ;)

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home