Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Monday, February 21, 2005

Weekend News

Another weekend bites the dust and as I sit on the sofa, laptop in hand watching “Holes” on TV, I have decided it is time to update my loyal readership (of 4 now with the new comment) as to what has happened over the weekend.

Friday night was a chill night, with me back alone in the house (for a while at least) and consisted of a bit of internet time- until the ISP died, and watching TV. Needed to chill as once again Friday was a bit of a day from hell and coupled with the heat, I was knackered when I got home.

They have the new series of “The Block” aussie style on Series Channel and of course that has become a firm favorite in the Ghana Household of one. I have managed to get my webcam working as well, so that bodes well for the next 8 weeks that I am here. Did I mention I am a visual animal *g*

Saturday was back at work, and hammering out a fair amount of stuff which seemed to have fallen through the cracks over the week. I left work completely up to date with the single exception of my receipts, which for some strange reason have found themselves in an “Unallocated Cash” account instead of the debtors account. Emails have been sent to work out how to get da money out of there and into the right place. JDE is a strange animal sometimes. (This also for some reason did not form part of my training *sigh).

Marco was up from Obuasi for the weekend, and was sharing house with me as his room has now been taken over by the Cad Lad. The mine lads decided it was time to have a piss up and braai as one of the lads has got himself a cushy number in the DRC, with loads of $’s and a 6 week on 2 week off rotation. *bite of hand*

Needless to say, there was the most amazing amount of meat, loads of Captain (everyone seemed to bring a bottle) and my head required me to go directly to bed, do not pass the kitchen, do not collect bottle of water. I also learnt that a good way of cooking chicken was to put a can of beer or coke (full) up the chickens butt and standing it up in that manner cook it. SO that is added to my try out list for when I get back.

One of the chemical suppliers who was there knew my previous company where I worked – comment raised by the fact I was wearing a competitors of theirs T shirt – and we had a long chat about the paper industry.

It still amazes me how well I knew that industry after so long, and at times here I feel totally at sea with certain things that appear to be basic in the construction industry. That said, all my lads are willing to teach “the accountant” and have been most patient with silly questions.

Such as “Flashback arrestors break” – I have been throwing toys on a regular basis about the number of arrestors we buy and what happens to them. I even got to look at one and realize that the manufacturers do not like you to try and fix them.

Fuel prices in Ghana have increased by 50% which using today’s exchange rates puts the price at R3.79 / l – Still cheaper than South Africa. Needless to say, the country is up in arms as to the “unreasonable increase”.

The newspapers today publish new transport fares which have increased by 30% odd. One will watch the inflation rate with interest.
(and my workers reaction). The local newspapers are reporting transporters increasing their fares by 50% - which I assume is using fuzzy logix based on the fuel price increase.

I was also looking at the financial reports published by SSNIT. SSNIT is a government provident fund, which ostensibly provides pensions to Ghanaians. They contribute 5% and the employer contributes 12.5% of the workers wage.

On closer review the income into the fund was $226 million of which contributions were $148 million. The remainder was investment income. Using a quiet rule of thumb, that means that Ghana Earnings for companies that contribute to SSNIT (usually the formal sector) was $845 million. Low?

What caught my eye, and once again calls to question such funds – in my mind at least – was General and Administrative expenses almost exceeded Pensions paid out.

And the final eye opener was the financial report was for 31 December 2003. A full year and a bit after the year end.


Sunday was a chill day at home, as the bakkie I was using was off to Kumasi with the plant guys on a shopping trip. I was thus left with a bakkie that is really in need of shocks! Therefore I was in no mood to travel anywhere.

Some internet time was had from home, made all the more frustrating by continual disconnections which reminded me of my dial up in Swaziland.

But I enjoyed today!

And I hope you are as well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home