Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Another mid week Post

Another midweek blog, because I find myself with goodies to say 

So therefore:

Speak!

Getting out of the car tonight I was once again attacked by a Ghana issue which tends to make me swear! And the thing that bugs me the most is that it afflicts only people who cannot see properly without the aid of glasses. A mixture of hot air, humidity in the 80’s and a bakkie aircon on full, means that when you climb out of the vehicle, ones glasses immediately steam up! The result is I tend to take two steps out the LDV and poof, I cannot see a thing.

“I am blind!!!!!” I think as my world dissolves into whiteness!

The issue is made a tad more serious by the buffeting I get from Ghana and Brunie (my dogs) as they appear from the upstairs verandah abnormally happy that I am home.

So what does one do? One removes his glasses so at least the world can be a blur as opposed to having the same effect of been lost in the mountains in thick mist.

One has to be careful when throwing the tyre for the dogs (to catch), one does not throw with the wrong hand and end up tossing ones glasses for the “tender” ministrations the dogs deliver.

Getting home tonight was a bit of a rush due to the cricket and as luck would have it, I missed Kemps thunderous last overs and only managed to watch England put up a brave fight. That was however interrupted by the (now nightly) power failure which fortunately lasted only around 20 mins or so,

Dinner was chicken stir-fry mess. The chef had asked for a loan the night before which I had turned down and I do believe it was his way of getting me back. Added to that it was loaded with green peppers. So into the fridge and I found some left over fillet from Sunday, some cheese and slices of onion and salt!. Nice stuff and I was a happy chappy.

Once the meal was finished, a phone call from Marco came in where he asked me if I had enjoyed my supper. Thinking he had the same idea about stir-fry as I did, I was expecting a chirp about the quality of food. When I mentioned that I had eaten leftovers, he was most shocked that I did not find the Nando’s and Choc Donuts that they had left for me. The lads had just come from Accra and had purchased Nando’s and donuts!! Was that NICE or what!!

A bit pissed off that I did not find the Nando’s before eating the left overs, my ill feeling was assuaged by a cup of tea and *cough* donuts. Yup *cough*. Based on my previous post re my expanding waist line – I failed dismally last night in ensuring that over time my pants will fit me.

*sigh*

We won the cricket! And now it is off to bed for me with a book and some olive oil…..


Hope u all smiling – I am!

3 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

so the bathroom scale hasn't arrived yet ? *chuckle*

1:49 PM  
Blogger Esther said...

kappia
um, you almost described him ....
bespectacled (check)
grouchy (check)
*chuckle*

7:56 PM  
Blogger Antoine said...

Can I just sit back and polish my "halo"

*wicked chuckle*

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home