Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Monday, January 10, 2005

Missive from South Africa

The “official” start to the New Year is here! And for some silly reason I am spending my leave time in the office putting my little ducks in the cage so they can be placed in a row when I get back up north.

Been in the office is SA has certain advantages, one of them been connection speed to JDE and email is like lightening when compared to the speed I am used to in Ghana. Entering anything onto JDE is done with minimal time lag, and I can see a bit of swearing taking place when I get back to the slow steady sat speeds.

A negative? is with the smoking rules, I am unable to smoke in the building. Ergo, two things happen.

1. I slip outside and smoke ½ a ciggie really quickly
2. I am smoking 10 ciggies a day instead of 30.

I am trying to work out if this is positive or negative!

What have I done since arriving back from Ghana in mid December?

Well – let’s see.

1. Nessers collected me from the airport, dressed in a wonderful French maid outfit, which increased my heart rate as well as all the red blooded males collecting people from the flights that were landing. There were a few ribald comments passed as we made our way to the parking!
2. Had lunch with Keith and Sam on my day of arrival, but given the fact that I cannot sleep on the flight, it was rather relaxed with my succumbing to the inevitable “afternoon nap” after a few drinks.
3. Xmas was a family day, which was really great and I cooked up a storm with a medley of meats, salads and even veggies. (it was great to go shopping before the fact and I really went over the top at pick and pay and woolies!!!)
4. Off to Durban for 10 days and carried out mums last wishes as to the disposal of her ashes and generally chilled in really hot and humid conditions for the whole time there. We did not cook much at all, besides nuking the odd pizza and making bacon sarmies. It was all take out and restaurant food and that showed on the waist when I returned. I pigged out on the taste sensations of Lamb Curry from La Mercy Hotel, Mugg and Bean food which is always stunning and too much, Nandos’ (a few times) and the Fish Company. Food did play a big role in the trip!
5. New years eve was spent (sober!) and on the beach in Umhlanga Rocks, parting to a DJ who had set up on the beach and getting our feet wet once ever so often. Loads of fireworks – poor dogs – and a very fine way to see the old year out and the new year in. It has been a while since I woke up on the 1st of Jan sans a hangover, but with the cops on the road it is just not worth the risk of driving under the influence.
6. Robbers 21st was on the 6th, and he got taken to a pub that night and we all did our best to ensure he would not remember the evening. He got suitably ratted and “his legs were numb”. His recall is limited and he did not puke in the car – which was a good thing. Dad remained responsible and supped on single captains the entire eve, so was not ratted on the drive home.
7. Cause Robbers had fun, we decided to repeat the party at my place on the Saturday which was a load more fun. 268 photos to prove it, and one could see the inhibitions been lowered rapidly as the evening wore on. These pics are filed in a well hidden place. *chuckle*

And that dear friends is what the leave has been like to date. You will notice I have not mentioned the loads of sex I have been having. That’s cause I do not want to make you jealous!!! I have slowed down in the last week (old age you understand), but will be picking up the pace now that the festive season has left us and I am due back in two weeks. Need to build up credits for the next three month stint – scary when your sex life is blocks.

Have a fun one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home