Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

2004 as it was

As the year draws to a close – Early for me as I am home next week and will not be spending much time on the internet, one allows one’s mind to drift back over the past 12 months and see if I ended the year a better person then when I started. This is generally my objective.

So, in précis the year has given me the following:

1. Most momentous of course was leaving the paper industry (after 14 odd years) and getting involved in the construction industry. The made all the more interesting by simultaneously moving to Ghana. The move was a good one, and one that I needed to make and I am learning new things everyday, which makes the roll out of bed (refer below) that much more interesting every day.

2. The realization that I *do* have the ability to wake up at 5 odd am in the morning and start work between 6 and 7am. This after the aforementioned 14 odd years – and even before then of starting at 8:30 – 9:30am. The upside is not immediately apparent, but the downside is I am unable to party until late and going to bed at 9.30pm now seems to be a norm. In the old days if I was asleep before 12 it was rare. The upside is – been in Ghana, there is not much party time at all, and therefore retiring for the evening at the early hour is quite simple.

3. For the first time in my life, I lost a parent. Mum passing away in October, which when it is considered that I planned my R&R around her birthday and ended up attending her funeral instead, leaves me rather numb, even 2 months after the fact. She was a cantankerous old girl for the last few years and did make life somewhat difficult for most around her, but every one of my mates loved her to bits, because she still knew how to join in on a party and loved having young people around her. A few years back, when I got Nessers a male stripper for her birthday, the look on mums face as the lad gyrated in front of her was something that will live with me forever. So mum, wherever you are and what ever mischief you are getting up to, I miss you!

4. Getting used to my dad realizing his own mortality with the death of mum, and realizing that even after been divorced for 25 years, he still loved the old biddy and now has no-one to fight with every Thursday and Sunday. They still used to go on holiday together, visit my sister together and reminisce as only old people could do. All I can say is I am happy that given the fact I abuse my body so well, I will not live to see my 80’s and would not have to put up with everyone dying around me.

5. Seeing my sister again after two years, and realizing she does not change, just thickens around the middle. I do love her loads, and I know that you read the blog Bubble but I am not just saying that. Given the circumstances, the time spent with you this year was great.

6. Realising the difference between friends and acquaintances once again, and smiling lots when I realize there are people out there who do care what happens to me in darkest Africa.

7. Looking back on how my kids have grown up over the last year, and realizing that they are both almost out of their teens and have grown up to be great, if sometimes maladjusted kids. Lisa’s few months in England was interesting and showed how headstrong she could be when she wants to, and how that trait came from me, because I remember the “balls to the wall” attitude I had when I was 19. Robbie’s life never ceases to amaze me, and again he has a work ethic that I would be proud of. It is interesting when your son comes home from an all nighter and it has been at work finishing off an urgent order as opposed to been on the piss with his mates. Both are untidy buggers – again one of my not so good traits – and I love them both more then they will ever know.

8. Going back on a Swaziland website and smiling because my daughter still holds 11 swimming records even though she gave up swimming after the 2000 Olympics.

9. Shock that Nessers is still sticking around *wicked chuckle* after my move to Ghana, and the fact that she really has been an absolute wonder for me over the last few months. Thank you young Nessers!!! (and I love you lots)

10. No shock that Esther still does not listen to a word of advice that I give her. One day you will surprise me E-lady, but I am defiantly not holding my breath.

11. Doing some really fun stuff with Keith and Sam, and knowing that they are two special people that mean a lot to me. When I feel down, I have a whole series of pictures taken at a party we had at their place before I went up north and just flipping through them cheers me up no end.

12. I have a whole lot of other photo’s that cheer me up as well. *sweet smile*

13. I have learnt that I CAN actually go without sex with another person for three months. I have also learnt that sex with another person after three months is fantastic and it started before we left the airport parking. We also learnt that the airport parking is quite busy on a Thursday morning at 7:30 am.

14. I still phone Esme and Lindy to chat and have a laugh, cause office time with them was really good and made a lot of boring days not boring at all. I miss working with them.

15. It is the first time I am going on an ACTUAL holiday with Nessers in 4 years. Not that we have not been away before, but this is not the odd long weekend, but a real 10 day holiday at the coast. Gawd – does this mean our relationship is getting serious? *wicked chuckle*

16. I have also learnt that Nessers does have a kinky side. All it takes is time and patience. *extra wicked chuckle*

17. All acts in different countries are basically the same. But the subtle differences are the ones that cause the most headaches.

18. I am now starting to get used to the locals wanting to rip me off, and find that once in a while a good temper tantrum works wonders.


That was the year that was. I am sure I have missed out on a few things, but these have been the most memorable.

More soon……

2 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Yo lil bro, *sniff*, I love you too and you still managed to bring tears to my eyes ...... even from 8 000 km apart. I loved being with you too and hope that we can spend some time together again (in the not too distant future) and under happier circumstances. Have a good one down south *kiss* *extra tight hugs*

12:45 PM  
Blogger Nessers said...

This was a good post

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home