Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Monday, February 14, 2005

Monday Pissed off Blog

I have mentioned before that if there is one thing that really gets my jig is some one trying to rip me off. The fact that I am writing my blog, means that once again this has happened:

We have a Chef, who prepares food for 11 expats on a daily basis. You have read my accounts of the food that gets dished up so you understand my feelings towards his cooking skills.

That said, the bugger decided he needed a loan in order to rent a house. In Ghana they have a quaint method of renting houses. You pay a year in advance and get a house. None of this monthly stuff. Now again when one considers he got a loan for a house 6 months ago, one understands why I am reluctant to loan money to the lad when he still has not paid off his previous loan.

On declining to loan him the money, all my food suddenly has green peppers in it, and I would not be surprised if the lad spits in it before he labels the box “Mr. Tony” Ergo a lot of my meals have now been prepared by yours truly.

It seems however he is finding new and inventive ways to get the additional funds. This was found out today when reviewing the food purchases for Feb to date which seemed rather high. I had sat down with the lad two weeks ago and worked out a menu plan, quantities of food required and an approximate cost for what was required for the month. This sort of garbage is required cause it appears this lad has no knowledge of how to run a kitchen. The fact that I controlled the canteen as part of my function in my previous job, means that portion sizes, weight loss on cooking, bone in and bone out weights, are not terms that are foreign to me.

When I then see in the last 12 days we have purchased 40kg of potatoes, 180 bread rolls 12 trays of eggs and 130kg of assorted meat, one could imagine the paint peeling in my office as I let off steam. I think everyone in the office suddenly found something to do outside.

Needless to say the lad and I are going to have a fairly detailed chat tonight when I get home. My fridge has stuff which I have bought, with the single exception of chicken breasts which I asked for last week. As for the eggs, I have had 1 tray since I started back in January and there is still around 18 left. I think David used the 6 to bake banana bread. No potatoes with the exception of the 12 I got last weekend and definatly not 800 grams of meat per day, which the 130kg works out to be.

My mood? Farking pissed off!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

yup, definately avoid the chefs food for a few days, he might be doing more than just spitting in your food

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home