Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Midweek evening

Let’s see now:

What has happened so far that has tickled my fancy?

We have guys from SA here at the moment as well as our new draughtsman who has (finally) arrived. It does however seem that he is more interested in computers then draughting. In my normal people winning way, his track was adjusted with “If I needed a computer guy, I would have asked for one, but seen that I requested a draughtsman, best that’s what you do here”.

Let’s see how he pans out.

He has been staying with me this week and yesterday overslept and today managed to spend an inordinate amount of time in the shower. The fact that it is the only shower in the house meant that I am taken out of my little timing box. It seems like I am worse then my old man when it comes to a little routine.

That said, I spoke to the old boy on Tuesday night and he seems to be quite perky.

I get my house back on Friday which will be a good thing.

The house is also been painted. On the outside fortunately and it will hopefully look brand new by the time they have finished.

Talking about houses, we rented a house for around six months last year to house expats for the large contract we were doing. I had a recent request via my staff that we were required to repaint the inside of the house as “the walls were stained”. Needless to say I refused and yesterday after the owner coming to see me personally, I decided to have a look at what was happening myself.

What was wrong with the house?

1. It was painted with Ghana Special Paint. You know the paint that turns to chalk 96 hours after applied:
2. The house was not stained. The house was dirty. Dust and grime all over the place.

At the end of the day, I agreed to send someone to clean the house, but was buggered if I would repaint. *growl*

Which also reminds me :- we have a (sort of) cell phone signal at the office, thanks to the Spacefone guys putting a repeater at our offices. However true to form, the signal is more down then it is up. But hey – it is 100% better then what it was.

It also means that if I wanted to make an urgent phone call, I no longer have to find a car and drive to the hill +-1km away to make the call.

The chef? Investigations do continue. Methinks he is a smart one so the rope may have to be a long one.

Today I did:

• A client visit after which I had to quote of 10 different items including noise proofing of offices????
• Completed Jan 2005 GL recons AND processed the correcting entries (even I was impressed)
• Done 4 of the 10 quotes
• Accepted that today my office is like Eloff Street and seen more than a dozen people on mundane things like bus hire, lowbed hire and the new wages system that we are installing.
• Done a staff loans procedure document
• Responded to dozens of emails
• Sweated like a pig as my bloody aircon once again fails dismally to beat the heat.
• Lost my temper over an insurance claim – blood pressure :”fark we are been ripped off AGAIN” Symptoms.
• Smoked more cigarettes then I want to count
• Receive a nice gift of wine, choccies and bikkies from Air Liquide (A belated supplier Xmas gift)
• Received a certificate of appreciation from the Goldfields Tarkwa Golf course for co-sponsoring their golf day – all in the name of client relations. I did mention it would be nice to rate an invite next time.
• Swore more times then I want to count for more reasons then I want to remember, the most recent of which occurred when I was printing reports from JDE and the link to South Africa once again vanished.
• Realised that my SA phone is network barred and I cannot use it for Spacefone. This in itself is about to generate a really really stuffy email to my service provider as true to form he did not mention the phone was network barred despite the fact I mentioned I lived in Ghana. I of course realized this after forgetting to charge my Ghana Phone……… enough said.
• I even did some filing and can now see the top of my desk. So THAT’S what it looks like!!


I am in a foul mood today!

Ergo

Let me go home and veg!

Hope you have fun people!

3 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

and when do we get some pictures ? ;)

8:47 PM  
Blogger Paris Travel Courtesan said...

Hope you mood has improved... Kathleen

1:58 PM  
Blogger Antoine said...

Tis a fun Sunday and I am feeling a load better. Thanks Kathleen.

Esther: When i find something nice to take pics of: ;-)

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home