Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Monday, February 21, 2005

Helpdesk has a Maximum IQ requirement

When the Sat link suddenly decides Email and JDE/Internet is not going to work, the thing one has to do is phone the Help Desk and log a call. For some strange reason the Sat phones still worked so I duly phoned the lad to log a call.

It went like this:

"hi the is xxxxxx (name removed cause he may blush or read my blog), How can I help you"

"Hi there, This is Tony in Ghana, Email and JDE are not working, but I can ping the servers and get a reply as well as the phone line is working which is strange"

"we can get our network guys to check it,Have you sent us an email reporting the problem?"

"ummmm Nope, the reason why I am phoning is cause the email is one of the apps that are not working"



"Oh, so you would not be able to send an email.. what is your name and your location"

"Tony in Ghana"

"Ghana?"

"yeah Ghana - west Africa"

"oh - ok let me put you through to the JDE people to sort out the JDE problem"

"Erm - the problem is not JDE, it is the line"

"Oh ok - I will log a call"

Needless to say - 4 hours later nothing works and I come home and hope that tomorrow morning will given me more luck.

I love been a user!

3 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

and a company where the coworkers don't know they have offices in Ghana? Gotto love it

7:43 PM  
Blogger Paris Travel Courtesan said...

This company doesnt sound very professional i must say! Dont they know where Ghana is located?? Kathleen

7:24 PM  
Blogger Antoine said...

My view on the matter is been too professional. Everything is logged and follows a process. The problem is the lads at the help desk are IT people, who do IT and not construction. As well as that Ghana is not the biggest part of the company (110 employees in a group that exceed 14,000) so one can allow for that.

Where I do chuckle is the silly questions they ask such as "have u logged an email" when you report via phone that the email is down, or a daily survery where you rate speeds and availability. There is an option "Down" on the form (this of course been accessed via the internet). I have never seen a result on the summary where "down" is checked as more then likely because the system is down, the user cannot access the server form to report it is down.

Just some guys who came up with an idea and really really never thought it through.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home