Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Sunday Update - another one :0

Well here we are. Carl and Jeri have vanished on their R&R and it is left to me to keep the ship on an even keel TECHNICALLY!! Now when God made people, he made technical people and he made thinking people.

I could never crack Meccano when I was young. I also remember my old man buying me a “build your own model home” kit. Complete with Mini Bricks, Tiles and even its own “cement”. My house, needless to say, was never built to any acceptable standards.

Jerome is the lad who has now taken the bulk of the pressure, but I am comfortable I can wander around site, and use logic to resolve 90% of what happens. I even noted all by myself that a modification the lads were doing was not as per drawing. *beam*

We have a client who decided 2 hours after Carl left to send an email commenting on my “technical in-experience”. I happily replied “It would be more appropriate to comment on my technical in-experience a few days after Carl left, as opposed to two hours”. Needless to say there was no response.

However I can walk around nekked in the house!

We now seem to be beset by early airplane Christmas. For the past two weeks it has been difficult to get our lads confirmed on a flight home. Lyle who was due to travel out on the Friday, had to wait until the Monday to get confirmed on a flight, and the four bodies who I tried to confirm on Monday were told that bookings “had closed”. Having prior experience with “closed bookings” two Christmas’s ago, my advise to the four was pitch up at the airport with $100 and you will see that seats will magically appear.

I was pleased to be informed today that they pitched up at the airport, dropped $100 into the “Book a ticket home fund” and were confirmed. By now they should be happily camped in SA.

This is something that revved my button then, and continues to do so now. I have taken some 12 flights to Ghana over the period I have been here and I have yet to see the plane full. There have always been empty seats. I must admit December was a mission, but as mentioned previously $100 got me a seat, so it was not full.

No wonder the British Activists chose the UK for their alleged planned deeds. They could at least take advantage of the fact they were assured a seat on the flight.

On fighting issues. One day all these army/navy/air force people with loads of bird goo on their shoulders are going to realise that conventional methods of fighting non conventional people is an exercise in futility. The poor buggers in Israel have thrown a huge amount of manpower and equipment at some guys with cheap rockets, who move around in a Bakkie. 5 weeks down the track, they are no better off and they have a huge amount of their guys in hospital or buried.

My solution? Carpet bomb the place – with cheap big bombs instead of the $1 million each “precision” bombs. Leave nothing standing that people can use. But then again – that’s the reason why they would not allow me anywhere near an armed force.

This week has been a heavy “anti malaria medication week”. Wednesday I was in Tarkwa to try and get some stuff out of the bloody workshop and do a mini riot act reading. Ended up in the local pub with my Regional Manager having a heart to heart. The drive home was over in seconds. Thursday Night was “departure tax” night and I got suitably roasty toasty and ended up munching some unidentifiable food at 11pm.

The best way to start additional work is with a hangover  I also spent a huge amount of time on Friday walking around site, sweating and earning stiff tendons for my effort. With access being what it is, there is a lot of climbing ladders and swing legs over scaffold and the like. With my love of heights, it was a mission of note.

Sunday today. (You know you busy when you start a missive on a Saturday and only finish on a Sunday). We are working ½ day – ie: until 5pm. We have a deadline for Wednesday on one of the circuits and we will make damn sure that we will meet that deadline. The fact that there will be no power to actually run the stuff we installing is a moot point. We going to use the best excuse in the world. “we finished – why are you not finished – please remember this the next time you decide on a deadline”

On that note: I am off to site

Have a fun one people. I know I am!

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

Ah, Tones the technical Guru *chuckle* At least there's something like logic.

Isn't that how you normally get a seat on the plane? Pitching up the airport with all your bags work well ;)

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home