Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sunday Update

Tis a sad state of affair when you have to wait until Sunday to update your blog due to doing the chicken sans head thing.

What has happened during the week?

Well besides the inevitible work, I have managed to have my angry day and piss off the other people day, all in one week.

My angry day related to an accusation that we did not have enough people on site. I flew back with "we have too many bloody people on site for the amount of stuff we have" and so it went on. I ended up marching to my office, doing a schedule of what should be here, what is here and explaining in rather unflattering terms that if we are still waiting for goodies on some bloody ship in the sea, how silly it is to have loads of people picking their noses.

We patched up our differences in the pub that night as only a dozen double captains can do.

The piss people off day was a highlight, as I took great pains at pointing out all the instructions that were outstanding and how it was making our people pick their noses. That and how they can glibly make statements that items will fit, but refuse to put it in writing cause in reality they have no idea where the items go in the first place.

That said, my Small Works lad delivered 18 tons of chute to site. Bless their little cotton socks if they did not drape a Group Five flag in the front of the chute, leaving no unanswered question as to who made this chute. I was impressed at their marketing skills.

I also had a trip to Obuasi on Saturday to correct my marketing skills. There is nothing worse than doing something in an accountants manner and handing it to an engineer. They are bound to misunderstand it. I should know better.

So this week, between all the gumpf required on site, I will be doing a simulation of three months worth of work and putting a number to that.

Lets see if it will work.

Chatted to my sis today. She is well and happy - which is always a good thing. She also advised me that the greek university where her daughter is studying.

They are on strike - due to some EU rule that people are not looking on favourably. Ergo - No exams were written. Goodness, Shades of SA in the 80's

My dog died. My daughter wants to get new ones. She proposed a Huskey - definate no - and an Alsatian. Possibly, but make sure it does not bite people in the house and likes kids.

Right - Let me do my filing - *glare at all the papers on my desk* - and try and leave here before the sun sets.

Have a great week people!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

Great Danes? ;)

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home