Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

And the comic pages turn!

I have not updated my Blog in bloody ages!!

Could it be because Nessers is in the country?

Could it be because the job is one where everything must be done yesterday and all the stuff you need is not here?

Could it be because the amount of paperwork generated by this place will make Sappi share prices take a 10% leap?

Or could it be because it is year end, and the year end gremlins have visited us.

Or could it be all of the above?

My answer – all of the above.


I can honestly say it has been a long time since I was so rushed to clear stuff off my desk on a daily basis. Even with Nessers in the country I am still getting home closer to 7 than to 5. Not good for someone who had found a comfort zone.

But hey! It is daily bread stuff.

I still maintain, if I ever built a paper mill the way the client wants this plant to be built, I would have been sweeping streets on Durban beach front.

That aside.

I have achieved my objective of shagging in each of the houses we have in Ghana, and chuckled at Nessers and her take of Ghana.

- It is hot
- Is ECOWAS another name for Ghanians
- Her plugs do not work in Ghana
- The plug she purchased in SA that said “works in Ghana” does not
- Her hair is frizzy
- She spent 2 hours at the office sorting out my filing.
- She spent a load more time at the pool and in front of the TV
- She still wake up at 5am
- She got vrot on Saturday at a braai with some (Afrikaans) clients and she managed to fluk the “Dutchmen” from Van der Bijl
- She was unhappy that the bed was spinning and ended up spending the night on the couch. According to her the first thought when she woke up was “please God let me have clothes on”
- She had a hangover of note – chirped she needed breakfast and unhappily had one bite of egg, one bite of bacon and half a slice of toast. I was forced to eat the rest of the food. *sigh*

Generally however I have been miles too busy to take full advantage of Nessers visit to Ghana, which is a bit of a pity. Who would have known when we planned this trip that I would be down the road tied to a contract from hell.

Such is life

It is also year end. With that goes the fun stuff of making sure everything ties up. Once again made a tad more difficult by my new lad who replaced me not quite getting up to speed. To say that I am clocking the hours is no lie.

But on the positive side we exceeded our stretch target for the year, which leaves me a very very happy lad indeed. My lads will be duly rewarded for a hard year.

On an even more positive note, apparently we are due to be awarded our BIG contract in Obuasi. Effectively a contract exceeding ZAR100 million over the next three years. This move vindicated a decision to re-open the Obuasi workshop in February 2005 and endure almost a year of losses there.

I am smiling!

I hope the guys in JHB are smiling as well.

Other than that

Nessers returns to the big cold on Friday, so I will be off to Accra with a return trip to Bogoso on Saturday. A Nut party is planned for Saturday night, so needless to say Sunday will be a quiet one.

Have fun people – will try and update a tad more often in the future!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home