Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Ster Kinekor - Take a bow!

I have no issue with shopping over the internet. In the past I have purchased sex toys, food and recently Nessers birthday present. All with no issue and no computer geek running up large bills on my card.

Until.

I decided to get ahead of the pack and book over the internet for “The Da Vinci Code”. This step was mainly due to the fact I wing off back to Ghana this weekend and I knew the movie was going to be fully subscribed. So off to www.sterkinekor.co.za and poof, 10 minutes later (on my painfully slow 64k ISDN) I was happily told my tickets were booked and all I needed to do was swipe my card at the Ticketline machine.

Come Friday evening, I duly swiped my card at the ticketline machine only to be advised by the colour touch screen that there was no ticket allocated to my card number. I did not swear, I did not curse (I did however do the user thing and swipe my card through at least twice more just in case the computer had made a mistake).

We toddled off to the managers office and quite obviously my problem was a regular occurence as they were unphased and could check if I had actually booked against their reports – stored offline. (ahh technology!)

Armed with an A4 page instead of a small ticket – the machine happily advised them that I had indeed booked, we found our seats. Occupied. Apparently the nice computer had sold the seats twice.

To the nice lady at Ster Kinekor , she went out of her way to help us, even going so far as to offer to put chairs in the cinema so we could watch the movie.

As luck would have it, there were two seats available for someone who did not pitch up – or they were the two seats that the computer originally allocated to me – as I could swear I originally booked isle seats – we managed to watch the entire movie, problem resolved.

Has it put me off using the internet to buy stuff? Not really but I will shy away from Ster Kinekors on line booking system.

To the management at Ster Kinekor Cresta. Congrats! You handled me well and prevented me from getting all sarcastic with you. You deserve a star!

The movie? Cannot understand why the critics panned it. I found it a bloody good movie with a compelling story.

Maybe the critics panned it cause they were treated “badly” by the distributors. A case of sour grapes methinks.

Tonight is Nessers birthday and I have been given cooking duty. Due to the fact the high today was 10 degrees and the low will be approaching 0 tonight, a hearty Ox tail is on the menu – I was not allowed to make my first choice – curry – as apparently I make it too hot and no-one wants to eat it (woeses!).

I have also made a veggie medley for the vegetarians in the cluster.

I have enough booze to ward off the cold!!

I am prepared!

2 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

You do tend to make curry a tad hot. Although, after 3 or 4 drinks it doesn't matter that much.

Have you read the Da Vinci code book?

10:31 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

Safe trip back to Ghana lil bro and a Happy Happy Birthday to you Nessers, hope the party was a good one!!! lots of love

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home