Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Oh I do like it here!!

Continuing the missive from down South:

The new responsibilities on the work front have managed to foil my plan to leave at 1pm each day. As my replacement has not been found as of today’s date, I am now doing two jobs. It is month end….

However!

I will start studying on Tuesday (promise) so I can write my first exam on the 9th with a clear head. All I have to do is find out exactly WHERE I am writing as I have not received any mail from Unisa on that score.

Couple that with client meetings on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday…. Study will be limited to 4 hours a day.

It is quite funny having unlimited access to the news and views. The Star gets devoured each night and good old faithful 702 is providing me with loads of commentary on what’s happening in the world. I am happy to be an updated fellow.

Our mate Jacob’s rape trial is drawing to a close – and I must admit it is going to be interesting when the verdict is announced. My prediction is – “Not Guilty”

Security Guards have apparently been on strike for over a month. – no-one noticed until they started killing each other and trashing the streets during their protest marches. Cops have no control.

The most interesting march is today – on the Minister of Labour – who refuses to intervene in the dispute. Wise Minister – bloody foolish Union.

The other strike is the Telkom strike. Once again no-one notices as their service was so bad before, the fact that no-one answers the phone is considered normal. I understand part of the grievances relate to profit bonus allocation and compression of grades. Job Security is also an issue. Telkom is privatized. Job Security is something your father had in my book.

The price of fuel goes up a whack next month. One thing that does piss me off is the fact that garages put the price of diesel up anytime they want. This is due to the fact that the pump price of diesel is not controlled. One day Garages who price gouge should be outed. The best part is I pay anything from R5.55 to R6.05 depending on what garage I go to. I am snoep enough to travel the extra 8km for the R5.55 price.

Oh yes – I am still having great sex!


I do like been in South Africa !!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home