Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Bonnie Tyler: A total eclipse of the (sun)(?)

At precisely 09h07GMT the sun hid behind the moon in Tarkwa. It was the first time I had witnessed a full eclipse of the sun, and the first time in over 40 years that Ghana had been in an eclipse’s path.

It was a stunning thing to be part of and as darkness fell, ohhs and ahhhs were heard from the 117 odd employees who had stopped work to be part of the event. All was quiet for some three minutes before a sliver of light broke out from behind the moon.

As the lights came back on – birds took flight and life slowly started returning to normal.

The sun for those three minutes had the halo of an angel.

I tried to take pictures. I firstly cursed myself to forgetting my tripod in Accra. The tripod was required as a very low shutter speed was required to take the picture behind the dark plastic glasses I had purchased for GHC 30.000. Augustine bought his at the same shop as me for GHC 20.000 and Patricia paid GHC10.000. Now you can see how pricing works in this place.

I had also omitted to charge my batteries. This however was rapidly resolved by nicking Augustine’s. Heheh


Herewith some pics





2 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

the pictures came out well!! Especially like the last one

7:04 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Well done lil bro, love the pics!!!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home