Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Saturday, March 18, 2006

As the week ends!!!!!

The end of another week.

I was on my way to Accra yesterday – via Obuasi – when a rather concerned client at Tarkwa phoned with an issue.

The result? An hour in Obuasi having the planned meeting and then instead of heading South East for Accra, a two hour trip North West back to Tarkwa to hold said clients hand for 15 minutes and assure him that we know what we are doing.

Further result? I am still in Tarkwa and will most probably take the 5 hour trip to Accra tomorrow. (Trip time drops by 1 hour on a Sunday :*grin*)

The house in Tarkwa is full – and getting fuller. The contracts manager for our job at Bogoso has moved in, together with his wife. (Who is the site QA/QC person). Which means we have a woman in the house. You have NO IDEA how this changes ones routine.

The poor lass has to deal with 4 guys and as she puts it “continuous sport” on TV. We have to put up with the smell of perfume, body lotion, having to wear shirts in the house and the knowledge that someone in the house is having regular sex and it ain’t me.

Tonight it gets more interesting – the Site Manager’ girlfriend pitches up. She will be the site engineer – Qualified lass she is: Ergo 2 woman in the house and double the angst.

Our new cooks are really not working out too well. I fired the last one at the beginning of the month when we were not able to recognize or eat the food for three days in a row and the last meal she cooked for us was mixed veggies on toast. For Dinner!!!

The new ones were obviouslyy taught to cook at some strange place. They finally have the taste "right" – and we can recognize 80% of what’s on the plate – but for some reason they feel that we need rice. Lots and lots of rice. She cooked rice, veggies and lamb bone three days ago. The meat was ½ the size of a cigarette packet and the rice filled the entire plate. Carlos and I wandered off to the local spaza shop to see what we could cook and came back with frozen franks and bacon. I cooked a foul dinner of franks, bacon and rice. One plate of the original rice fed all five of us. Now you can see how much bloody rice there was.

A quiet chat in my office the next morning as to “portion sizes” and it improved somewhat. However they still seem to give us loads of starch and tiny pieces of protein. The fish was foul and last nights langoustines were squishy.

Strike 2.

I ordered some T bones from Kumasi and tonight we will have a braai. I have asked for potato salad and cucumber, tomatoes, cheese and Onions for a fresh Salad.

I will attempt to teach them the art of preparing food in advance next week, failing which we will revert to cooking for ourselves. I can happily knock up a reasonable meal in 30 minutes, the problem being that I am not in the mood to cook every night. Those nights we will have to make do with corn flakes. Or Carlos cooking. Or *shock horror* one of the guests.

Next weekend we are having out quarterly think tank at the beach. It is an extra day courtesy of Derek – our resident ponytail – coming up from SA to talk about teamwork, low hanging fruit and other “ponytail” stuff.

My presentation is thus 90 minutes reviewing the last quarter and setting targets for the next quarter.

One hopes the weekend will be booze filled and the odd trip to the Rasta coffee shop will take place.

27 days before home time: Albert left for his R&R on Thursday – which means I am required to do real work for the next three weeks while he is – getting regular sex – and I can then put everything together before I too go South.

The trip will be a long one as I am writing exams in May and all indications point to me been home for Nessers Birthday. OH and I do think I will be home for Esther’s birthday as well. Even tho to me her birthday is always in November *chuckle*

Off to site now fun people….. Congrats to Peas on her “Best New Blog” award. She is worth a read.

Keep on Smiling!!!! T Bone for dinner tonight – I know I am!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

April !!! not November !!! oh wait, looks like you got it right this time ;)

um, why don't u get the wummen to cook ? *dux*

11:07 AM  
Blogger Antoine said...

They are woman!

The scary part is the guy who used to cook did a better job.....
*sigh*

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home