Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Another week bites the dust!

It is once again a Saturday and I realize a further week has passed without the time, effort or communications to update my blog. (Bogoso Sat Dish was delivered on friday so there is progress)

Having two jobs is a rather interesting affair, and I am spending my time on the Bogoso Road between the workshop and Site doing a lot of thinking while dodging people, goats and the plethora of trucks that choose that road as their final resting place.

I kid you not when I say EVERY DAY there is a new truck lying on it’s side or taken part in ploughing a new road into the jungle.

The trucks that break down choose a blind rise or bend in the road to shuffle their mortal coil, which then contributes to the head on collision that invariably transpires as our local populace omit to make sure the road is clear before moving onto the wrong side of the road.

And that is what transpired with another one of our LDV’s this week when said LDV made unexpected contact with a truck heading in the opposite direction. The explanation behind how the accident happened was so laughable it had to be true. The fact that we have had two head on collisions in the last two months and both our lads walked away with bumps and cuts means our Guardian Angel is having to work overtime to maintain my DI at acceptable levels.

One of the better ones this week as my mind wandered on the trip to Bogoso was a truck who was so overloaded that the trailer literally broke in half. This was after a particularly bad section of road – i.e. potholes which made the road non existent – that you could see the lad hitting a large hole and the trailer throwing its hands up in disgust and failing miserably to stay in one piece.

The road was blocked on Friday afternoon by a truck going up the hill – overloaded again – and missing a gear. This caused the truck to roll back and jack knife across the road. Judicious use of 4x4 low range allowed me to go off road into the jungle and pass the blockage.

My replacement – François – arrived on Thursday afternoon and he is busy getting his feet wet. The lads took him to the pub on Thursday night as an Akwaaba. He is still alive.

The Site job is getting easier as I get my head around all that has to be done in the totally unrealistic time frame that has been allocated to us. That said I am learning to say “Point taken” a lot when the client throws a wobbily and “Fok voord” confident that we will do the best we can given that fact that most of the important material is still been loaded on a ship in South Africa. (not our fault – thank God – but still becomes our problem that we must work around).

On the social side……. The client sponsored a golf day last Sunday and I dusted off the golf clubs and took on the Bogoso Course. Rather – it took me on. I played well until around hole 5 when I got tired. *chuckle* Jokes aside – the course is long! I scored the sum total of 14 points and that indicates how badly I played. I only used my one wood once!

I sweated buckets! Even after the cold shower I was still sweating.

Other social aspects – None!

From the newspapers! Considering I have 6 newspapers on my floor that I have not even had time to read – you will have to be content with a scan of the news:

I scanned the news!

There is nothing to report!


OH YES!!

There is news

Nessers sent me nekked pics *perk*

Esther offered to take nekked pics of Nessers and send them to me - Interesting fantasy that...

No-one else did anything

My right arm is sore!


Have fun everyone!! - I sure am!

2 Comments:

Blogger ATW said...

and the worst thing about saying "point taken" often to clients throwing wobbilies is that one feels a bit of sellout doing this. I mean, do you really take his point? The reality is that ultimately he pays your salary and it's the path of least resistance. Maybe a fitting analogy is something like your trip down the Bogoso road, where you could go straight through along the road, not relenting or allowing the potholes and steaming wrecks to dictate your route. But really if you did try that you'd quickly come short & probably end up a steaming wreck oneself. So you navigate & pussyfoot around the obstacles (eg clients = potholes). It's a survival tool. We fok voord for our daily bread.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Esther said...

ah, the joys of customers with inexplicable time frame expectations. Inexplicable, because no matter how many times you tell them something is physically impossible to accomplish within the given time, they still insist.

hmm, don't let your mind wander to much on the road. Your angel is already working overtime already ;)

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home