Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Monday, August 07, 2006

Another long overdue update.....

*yawn*

There is nothing like a lazy Sunday afternoon, grand prix and the ubiquitous Sunday afternoon nap to wind up the week.

The week has been a hectic one, with a requirement for us to work some of our lads’ on night shift for commissioning. This has been an organizational nightmare given the fact some of our supervisors are on R&R. The start of the week was a tad rough until we had got our acts together and scheduled people to do the dreaded night shift.

It was also recon week, which is loads of time spent waiting for our accounting system to print out what you need. I cannot believe they still have not resolved the fact that at month end recon week, it can take over two hours to get a print job done. Frustration is the key word over this week.

I also managed to cock up my one recon, more so by some changes the client wanted to a certificate earlier in the week. I changed the one page, printed it out and gave it to him without realizing that my change on the one page doubled up my charge on the front page.

I them used Excels wonderful refer system and *poof* income overstated. I happily sent the file to da boss, who in around 7 seconds scratched his head, asking “WTF did all this income come from”

Never the less, all corrected and 3 recons down the line, I have not got one right. Maybe next month. I am a numbers lad – sheesh – I should be able to get the numbers right!!

Socially, I was in a drinking mood on Monday and ended up in the pub for a while. Pub was quiet and I managed to be reasonably noisy while I happily dosed myself with anti-malarial Captain Morgan.

Friday night was one of the Wade Walker peoples birthday. We were invited to the pool for some drinks and food. I did the drinks part, no Captains was available, so of course I decided to drink some Vodka and Apple Juice. Do NOT mix apple juice with Vodka. All that healthy apple is bad for you.

I walked home – taking the car was not an option – and decided I was hungry. I managed to put my food in the micro to warm it up. Without even waiting for the 45 seconds to pass, I went to bed, lay down on my back, breathed deeply and happily awoke in exactly the same position at 6am the following morning.

Needless to say Saturday was a “paperwork” day.

Carl and Jeri go out on R&R this Friday, so it will be left to the accountant to try and work out how to bring this job to heel. With the PITA client, this is made more interesting.

Oh yes. I have purchased a 50% share in a townhouse with Nessers. I have some money I want to invest - thanks to my car payments biting the dust – and Nessers needed a 3 bedroom place. True to form, she did not even come close to making it easier and waiting for me to be there in September, but toddled off, found a nice place in Constantia Kloof, and sold her place for cash.

Given the Power of Attorney I signed to enable her to complete all the paperwork, she now has more power over my affairs than even my ex wife has when she was my wife. *chuckle*

My replacement at Small Works did not cut it. I put him on a plane back home after lasting less than two months in the Jungle. All that means for me is my decision making ability on people has taken a knock, and as a penalty I am left trying to do two jobs at the same time while we find a replacement.

Accordingly I am up and down between Obuasi, Tarkwa and Bogoso almost every other day and, as is normal in these kinds of situations, not doing any one job properly.

So yeah fun people.

No Ghana news as I still have not seen a newspaper for ages.

Until my next update – keep yourselves warm:

And more nekked pics please!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home