Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Party Hard and be buggered the next day

Another update so soon?

Goodness – people will start thinking I am doing no work at all.

We went to the pub – again – last night to celebrate the putting up of our first piece of contractual pipe. This of course not the first piece of pipe that was laid, but that was all temporary pipe or extra’s pipe. We had laid pipe!!

You will now understand we celebrate the funniest stuff on site, but as we were discussing last night, all we seem to do here is Wake up – go to work – go home – go sleep – repeat.

Having resorted to headache tablets as a result of last nights medicinal bout with Captains, I comfortably had two single captains and bade everyone an early farewell.

I cannot get pissed two nights in a row – that’s a fact. A sad one – but a fact nevertheless.

I had a hunger when I got home and was greeted by Fish and Chips. Now to be honest, I wanted something substantial to sort out my tummy and tell it who was boss.

30 minutes later I was happily tucking into 3 x Lamb Chops, Lentils and Garlic, Feta Cheese and Olives and yes – the chips.

I was happy.

I was also nodding off on the couch at around 8,30 pm.

I was fast asleep by 9:30pm

There is something to be frowned at when you shattered after a previous nights hooley.

This week we start the run in to month end. This week I have a shite load to do. There is also a presentation by one of our clients in Accra on Friday which it seems that I am it. Albert is on R&R – bastard; Zack is pulling all the stops on a Job in Obuasi and we need to be there.

I was looking forward to some time in Accra. A day will have to suffice. It is month end weekend next weekend and we will not be working. Maybe a weekend in Accra?

We shall see. – Not much fun when you are there by yourself with no-one to party with.

Tomorrow there is a Football Match between De Simone and ourselves to be played at the JDE Stadium in Bogoso. We are willing to negotiate the television rights for the match. Please contact me before 3pm tomorrow.

I am the 2nd reserve Goal Keeper, Jeri is the 3rd Reserve Goal Keeper. That means if 2 Goalkeepers get injured I will have to raise myself from a (hopefully) beer induced stupor, walk onto the field, pull a hamstring on the way in and call Jeri to take my place in Goal.

We do strange things here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

I see you're keeping up your strength with a well balanced meal ;)
No partying two nights in a row, old age?

3:18 PM  
Blogger Mistify said...

good luck on your game

4:38 PM  
Blogger guppa said...

as an expat i am relating to your missive- and the strange fact that hang-overs are worse in these parts of the world, enjoyed snake post- i hope you hammies survived

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home