Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Friday, July 21, 2006

Of Hangovers and long black snakes

There is something ethereal about a Friday morning, 5:45am, mist low on the Golf course, standing on my 2 x 2 verandah, with a hangover from hell courtesy of way too much Captains the night before and listening to the birds make one hell of a noise.

To say I noticed that the noise from the birds was a lot more strident this morning would be a lie. I was too bloody hung over to notice anything but the smoke in my lungs and the way my body soaked up the morning cuppa.

On hearing a noise behind me, I turned in time to notice the biggest farking snake I have ever seen recover from a fall from the tree some 4 meters away from me and decide to reclimb the same tree, presumably in his quest for one of the birds up there.

My reaction – besides a rather surprised “Fuuuuuuuuck” – was to bolt back inside and close the door. Smoking rules be damned!!

Once my heart had slowed down to an acceptable 120 beats per minute, I snuck a peak out of the door and watched Sam the snake wendle his way up the tree.

I must be in the African Jungle!

Living with my hangover from hell – a dull throbbing by the afternoon – I cannot access my email, JDE or the company web page.

I sent a email to the helpdesk – from my “site” email – only to be questioned on how I was connecting to the server when I was not on a company range of IP addresses. I am not too sure why VPN software gets issued if the lad does not know that we can use it.

The upshot was the old IT favorite – We have checked everything from our side and it is working fine.

Well – my news is bad – It is NOT FUCKING WORKING FROM THIS SIDE DEMMET!!!

But hey – that’s my problem.

Last night in the pub was a hoot. I had had a particularly taxing day and decided that two relaxing Captains would be the order of the day.

I had a tad more than two, jousted verbally with the client for most of the evening. Received a site instruction written on a serviette with language foul enough to make me not want to give it to our engineer the following morning, and debated the fact that despite all the quality issues coming out of India and China, it may pay people to get work done out of there in the future. A lively debate it was too, considering my experiences in India.

The weekend rushes upon us, which means only three more days of work before the start of a new week of work – gotta love these contracts – Another week bites the dust in the chase to the 15th December.

Trust you had a great week readers

And trust the next week will be more fun than usual

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

glad the snake was more interested in what was up the tree, or he took one look at you with a hangover and decided the tree might be the better option ;)

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home