Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Cards 1 - Wine 4 - Antoine 0

Goodness. After a flurry of updates, everything goes quiet.

What is this world coming to! What is my world coming to?

Let’s see:

I have learnt a good lesson over the last weekend. It has to do with Cards, Carl and Jeri and some bottles of rather scary Aussie wine.

We sat under the stoep, playing cribbage and some funny “add the cards to 15, with pairs etc” game and supped at the rather acidic red wine. Was Aussie wine – cos it was as acidic as the Aussies are and gives you a headache.

Run out of wine, wander (Stagger?) up the 9th hole to the top bar. Find two of your workmates solving the world’s problems, and some other people and continue to partake for a long time. Bar closes, Stagger (Stumble) down the 1st hole and find a bottle of whiskey in the pantry and continue.

Instead of turning OFF my alarm and ON the air conditioner, I reversed the sequence and found a parrot in my mouth at 6am when the strident tones of “I walk alone” found its way through the tormented brain.

It was NOT a good start to the morning.

What made the Sunday a little more interesting was that we were due to play soccer at 3pm. On my last post, I was named as the second reserve goalkeeper. For some reason between the list and the following day, I became…… Goalkeeper.

I am still trying to find the person who made that decision and work on his management decisions.

Hungover we got to the Cabbage Patch at 2:30pm.

The soccer game warrants a separate post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home