Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Monday, March 14, 2005

Sunday Again :)

Another weekend has passed by in the Jungle and as I sit here perving at Laura Crofts perky bits, I am almost one month from HomeTime!!

We had a wonderful rainstorm last night which true to form killed the electricity to the area. Over the past week we have been having electrical problems which kill everything except for the Aircon in my room and the plugs downstairs. Very strange wiring in this house.

Not that I complain too much, as long as the room aircon works, I am able to sleep in relative comfort and read by torchlight.

Saturday however, everything was dead. Ergo I woke up at the ungodly hour of 6am on Sunday already sweating with no aircon. I had a very cool shower and waited for the Ghana Power Company to fix whatever fault had killed the power.

By 10am all the doors to the house were open and I was sitting outside in a pair of shorts on the verandah trying to stay cool. The house was an uncomfortable 28 odd degrees. Lunch was also going to be an issue as I had marinated some steak in the “Tony Special Sauce” and I worked out by 12 that the stove was out of gas. I have a nice Gas/Electric unit, so running out of gas is usually not a major train smash as I can use the one electric plate. With no power – this was turning into a train smash. *g*

Power finally returned at around 2pm and with all the aircons on full, fans on 5, the house was comfortable around 3pm. I could also cook my steak, with fried onions and Achar as my veggies. I do love my own meals, and was a happy chappy, plonked in front of the TV, puter on table and well spiced steak, rare, with loads of Garlic.

I mentioned previously that my windscreen on the *new* car was cracked in the first week. True to form the bloody crack started spreading and some fancy footwork was needed to stop the crack in its tracks – so to speak. Fortunately Albert was in Obuasi on Saturday and his *new* vehicle also picked up a crack. He then sent the same lad out to my place on Sunday morning to do a repair job. He did a reasonable job and hopefully the crack will stop its movement into my eye line. Cost GHC 250.000.

Not much on the personal side to report about.

Some Ghana News:

• The Kumasi clean up I mentioned in previous blogs was completed with no major fights. Again there are pics in the local news showing how clear the roads are.
• The fun part is there will always be a con man waiting in the wings to take advantage. All the Hawkers were to be moved to “the old race track” and as sure as god made little apples, some enterprising lad was on site charging the hawkers GHC20.000 to “register”. Some 600 people later and the local news station decided to check up on the lad and bust him. He was almost subject to a lynching.
• There is talk in the papers that Govt has decided to “boost the communications infrastructure”. This I wait to see in my term here.
• The news reports on a “virgin club”, which appears to be a HIV education club. I assume once you get shagged, that’s your membership suspended. How do you prove that you a virgin to get into the club? I can only chuckle at this.


That fun readers was my weekend.

A new week starts – and another week closer to nookie!!!!!!

Fark – I last got shagged on Sunday 23rd January – and when you know the exact date and it is more then two days ago – you know that you are battling. My right arm is getting a lot more muscular then my left. I have got to change hands more often!!!

Have a fun week peoples and peoplesses 

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

*ponder* no aircon & garlic. Good thing you don't have house guests *chuckle*

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home