Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Newsworthy

Constantly reminded that I am in Africa, I chuckle when I see certain items in the daily press as I munch on lunch. (Spag Bol today).

It appears the Auditor General has demanded from the IRS the tax postion of most of the newspapers in the country. This includes directors personal tax. Although the AG's office is responsible for auditing the revenue collection, the timing comes as certain press publications are less then complimentary on the ruling NPP.

Poor timing? - or an attempt at press freedom. It is interesting to note that the Daily Graphic, which tends to be pro government is not amoung the papers listed.

There is also a hullabaloo about JJ Rawlings (Previous PM who gained power via a coup) who was to be awarded a doctorate. Apparently the ruling party called off the award due to "security concerns". This is getting a large amount of radio time, but not a mention in the Daily Graphic. The plot thickens.

In Togo a few weeks back the president for 40 odd years passed on. Given the fact that Togo now has a constitution, successor to the Pres until new elections could be called was the Speaker of the House. What does the Togo Army do? They fire the speaker of the house and appoint the Late Presidents Son as speaker and thus de facto president. Elections were to be held "at a future date".

The East African community reacted with outrage and sanctions were imposed against Togo until they got their house in order. That has been done and elections are due fairly soon.

That was not quite the issue in my mind however. The Ghana ambassador was one of the first lads to welcome in the "Speaker of the House (new)" as president. Much against his countries wishes.

Most people will be fired and on the next plane home. The politically correct was it seems is to recall the lad and make him stand in a by-election due next month. I am not sure if they are hoping he is trounced at the polls and thus vanishes quietly into the distance or if they believe that his "shoot at the hip" attitude will make him a great MP.

I watch this one with interest :)


On a personal note:

Got a wonderful email from a lass yesterday working for the company requesting me to purchase 50 sheets, 50 pillows and 50 Pillow Cases.

Somewhat perplexed I sent an email back noting that I did beleive the email was misdirected. (big company - more than one Tony ..etc)

Blow me down if I did not get an email back saying, no issue, but please get the sheets and pillows.

I then proceeded to set out in simple terms the logistical nightmare of getting Bed Sheets and Pillows from Ghana to Angola (thats where she was) and hell it should be a lot easier just buying them locally.

At least she had a chuckle about it.....

Now I wonder how I go about getting a female buyer!!!!

OW!!! - Someone hit me - who was that *wicked chuckle*

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

I read Rawlings and thought "the woman that writes Harry Potter has something to do with Ghana?" ;)

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home