Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Ahhh - The islands call and So does JHB City Council

The start of another week finds me at an airport at the ungodly hour of 6am. However, given the fact that this is the start of a week in Mauritius, the hour can be forgiven. I do not believe for a second I would feel so comfortable if I was – as some of my fellow travelers in the lounge are – traveling to Lumumbashi. They also leave at an ungodly hour.

Check in at this time is simple. However the fact that my bag weighed 23kg seemed to be an issued for the lad at check in. This was resolved by placing 1kg into my hand luggage. Then he was happy.

Now for some reason, this process never ceases to amaze me. How by taking 1kg out of my checked in luggage and placing it in my hand luggage resolves the weight issue is something that escapes me. Another method that people use to keep me wondering as to who thinks up these solutions.

That said, Exclusive Books at the airport – no duty and no VAT – use the allowances granted to travelers to increase their profit. A book for sale at Cresta is cheaper than the same book at the airport. From what I understand rental at the airport is a lot higher than at a shopping centre, so is it just ACSA taking advantage? I think so.

The public servants strike did not appear to have impacted Customs at the airport. There were 5 people at 6am, which if I recall correctly when I used to travel on the crack of dawn flight to Swaziland was more than what was there at that time.

On the strike and increase scenario, once again the Government shoots themselves in the foot by announcing massive increases for the president and his MP’s. I could imagine the Government negotiator holding his head in his hands when this was announced in the middle of negotiations. I could also imagine a few swear words emanating from his mouth.

On a lighter note, I received a letter from the City of Joburg over the weekend, glibly stating that “it has come to their notice that my water and lights account does not have a deposit paid, which is in contravention of some by law” I responded with the following (in Part)

I refer to your letter dated 15th May 2007, received by me on June 1st 2007, stating that the above account has no record of having a deposit paid.

The reason for the account not having record of a deposit paid is that indeed no deposit has been paid on this account. HOWEVER, there has been a deposit paid on Account Number *******, in the name of Lenferna de la Motte, Serge Robert.

In 2001, I had queried why there were two accounts on the same property, one in my name and one in a bastardization of my name. Your wonderful people at Braamfontein accounts were unable to assist me, despite visiting and waiting ages to be served on three separate occasions. This was obviously also occasioned by the fact whoever processed my deposit did not know their debits from their credits and processed my deposit as a charge as opposed to a payment. If this has been sorted out, I have no idea as I ceased receiving statements a few years ago on this account.

So! Now that your Customer Relations Management Department has looked into my account and realized that something is amiss, MAYBE, just maybe the same Customer Relations Management Department can cast their beady eyes over account *******, realize that there has been a major bugger up and finally – almost seven years after the issue arose – correct the problem by placing the deposit against the correct account.

I assume this realization came about after visiting your stand at the Home Makers Fair, where a very nice man gave me a mug for changing my postal address. This of course three years after I had sent letters three months in a row changing said postal address. However the man could not get my name changed as he did not have the access to change names on the system. (May I suggest getting the same developers as Enatis to write your system so they could have access to the alleged “super application”).

Your requirement in terms of the provisions of the Credit Control and Debt Collection By-Laws of the City of Johannesburg No. 213 of 2005 have been satisfied. Is there any way that my requirements in terms of the Antoine de la Motte sanity rules could be satisfied as well?

I trust this letter bought a smile to your face, the same way it bought a smile to my face typing it.

Have a stunning day.

A de la Motte


PS. If you do manage to correct this mess, you will be the first person in 7 years to actually take the time and effort to correct what should have been a simple thing. Should you accept this mission, the force of Yoda and his three cute sisters will be with you. Should you not accept this mission, Yoda will just be shaking his head muttering “I told you so”

I do so love dealing with Government.

Am I having fun?

I think so!!!

Hop(e) you are too!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

*chuckle* You actually wrote in the letter about "the Antoine de la Motte sanity rules"?

12:39 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

hehe, I imagine Yoda will be shaking his head ........

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home