Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Monday, May 14, 2007

The Law is an Ass (and other travel news)

Our well renowned Constitutional Court made a “landmark” decision regarding Rape. Non Consensual anal penetration (Watch my google hits grow) has now been listed as rape. Not 100% sure why it was not before in all honesty.

However:

It is only rape if you are a female. If you are a male, it is not considered rape, but rather sexual assault, which is considered a “lesser crime”

Now forgive me for shaking my head. If some guy (or for that matter some butch lass with a 12” strap on) shags me up the nort without me giving my explicit consent, that is rape. No questions of that on my side.

The courts “learned” opinion was they are not there to “make law”

In my humble non legal opinion, by determining that anal penetration of a lass is rape, when that was not the case in terms of the law previously, is making law.

Methinks our learned Judges are a tad confused. Two judges dissented! I am not sure what the other lot was smoking.


That said!

I am off to Ghana again today for a week in the Jungle. Always sounds a lot better than 3 months as was previous. The only issue is when I look at my to-do-list, I get concerned as to how I am going to fit it all in. That and a party with the client in Obuasi on Saturday night.

HOWEVER.

After three years of traveling to destinations that are not advertised as tourist destinations, I am finally scoring two destinations that are on peoples tourist list.

Mauritius for a week. There will be a series of meetings but I have no doubt there will be more than enough opportunity to do Tourist 101.

Paris for a day: I have a one day stop off in Paris (as opposed to Parys) on my way to Ougadouga (Burkina Faso).

Paris for a day and a half. On the way back from BF, I get a day and a half to do Advanced Tourist.

The best part about it is by spending an extra day in Paris, the price of the ticket reduces by R4000. So the accountant in me is happy.

Couple that with my decision not to fly Air Kenya until they have worked out why their 737-800 went down, the flight via Paris is actually cheaper then flying Air Kenya.

Another reason to make the accountant in me smile.

The only issue I therefore have is to apply for a Visa to Paris and I am A for Away.

See the smile on my face!!!!!


Hope you are all having fun

I am J

2 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

Now to find a way to travel to Ghana via, um, Holland or some other interesting European country. ;)

9:05 AM  
Blogger Nessers said...

Oooh 2 days in Paris - now you have no excuse for not bringing me a lovely bag or trinket from Paris *g*

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home