Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Busy one? Possibly

What a fun week.

After spending Monday sleeping and Tuesday enjoying a public holiday, Wednesday saw work at full swing. Well almost. Ended up on a “course’ from around 12 and did reasonably well all things considered. We did however spend a while at the 19th where single captains were supped, I won some goodies after coming 11th, my partner won a wheelbarrow full of booze in the raffle and generally a good time was had by all.

The most interesting part of the evening was 4 guys trying to get a wheelbarrow full of booze down the stairs. After much huffing and puffing, this feat was achieved and the booze was safely loaded into said winners car. Most people would have tossed the wheelbarrow. Not said winner and more squeezing was carried out to fit said barrow into the back seat of the car. Thank fark the lad was not stopped by the cops. Could have been an interesting explanation.

Friday saw us at the office pub, where a few bottles of good red were supped and the problems of the world was solved between 5 of us. Once again, an interesting drive home. I really must respect the roads a bit more!!

Saturday was a rugby day and I managed to score some tickets to go watch the Lions get beaten again. This time the Cheetahs duly obliged. When I say I swear watching TV, I swear a whole load more when it is live. It was a box, so once again the captains flowed and everyone had a whole load of fun.

Everyone that is, except for Keith. We were walking to the car and Keith was left behind chatting to two new friends. After a while waiting for him, I phoned and ‘ he was on his way’. Twenty minutes later he was still on his way and ten minutes after that his cell was switched off.

For the next two hours, I discovered all the streets around Ellis Park while we looked for Keith who no doubt was looking for us. I finally found the lad, courtesy of the local fire department who was treating him after he had fallen down a trench where they were laying cable. Sore ankle and a cute gash in his head that made for lots of the red stuff.

I got him back to Nessers place, cleaned him up and put the poor lad to bed.

Next morning it transpires that his cell, wallet, chain and watch were gone. It then becomes apparent that the gash in his head was courtesy of the redistrubutors of wealth and he was actually mugged. Poor bugger. He was less than a happy lad this morning.

On the house front, I have commenced building my deck, which has the columns, set in concrete and levelled off. Today I will get into the frame and wood protection.

I have received the design for my new kitchen, which looks stunning. Have a few small issues that need to be resolved, but they did manage to capture everything I wanted and catered for my non-negotiables. Now to get a price for the stunning kitchen.

Off to Ghana again on Friday, so this week promises to be an interesting one.

Hope you too are busy and smiling.

I know I am

Keep it that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home