Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Another week bites the dust!

What a week.

Work has been keeping me out of mischief – which is a sad state of affairs, but the work has been tempered by a reasonable social life as well.

Tuesday was a few drinks – very few, I was home by 7:30 – followed by 10 pin bowling on Wednesday night at a work function for Nessers work. I bowled 140, thereby beating all contenders by a minimum of 31 points. The hop, skip and bowl worked well and I retained the cup I won off the Nessers three years ago!

Thursday was a mini Friday, spent in good company and supported by good food and even better booze. The mini Fridays are working well.

Tis my sisters birthday today, and she is spending it in Greece with her daughter/s. I managed to phone and chat a bit until we got cut off. So HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUB’S (cos I know you read my blog once in a while *chuckle*)

This week the pressing subjects are:

THE COLD!!!!!

Fark!!!!!

When I landed on Saturday morning from a balmy 35 degrees in Ghana, I was treated to a nice wake up call of 7 degrees on the ground. Couple this with the fact that I traveled in Shorts and a T shirt, parked my car in the long term parking at the airport and had to wait 15 minutes for a shuttle bus, you will understand I was rather goose fleshed when I climbed into the car and turned the heated seats to 5

But!

That had nothing on when the cold front hit. -2 degrees, ice on the ground and for the first time in a while I actually slept with clothes on.

Twas not nice!

However as I write, it is a barmy 14 degrees and I am quite warm.

I also moved into my new office. In the corner, Conference Table and Mark nicked the fridge.

Nice sun streaming in and the ability to open the windows if I want to sneak a smoke after 5.

(there was even an ash tray left behind)


Monday and Tuesday finds me in the town of Parys – yup – Paris is the following week *boast* for a strat session. The only issue is that the place is in the free state and we all know how cold the free state gets in winter.

I will bring a BIG jacket.

Wed – Friday will be back to the month end grind before I fly off for 2 weeks on the 4th.


I was most impressed with our beleaguered Minister of Transport when taken to task on the monorail. ( for those that do not know, a Malaysian company/ consortium offered to “give” R12 billion to build a mono rail from Soweto to JHB City). Jeff’s answer “No-one has actually spoken to me about this and the first time I heard about it was in the newspapers”.

That response stole the interviewers thunder and the next question of “Should you not resign” was possibly the worst placed question I have heard in an interview. JJ Hang your head in shame.

His response on E-Natis was a little bit contrived as he harped on how wonderful the system is and how it was coping with 33% more volume than the old Natis system.

Yup Mr. Minister – the whole reason why there are 33% more transactions is because the bloody system has not been working for a month, and by only processing 33% more transactions, it will take you at least 3 months to catch up on the backlog.

A badly implemented system and quite honestly someone should be answerable. It obviously will not be the Minister.

So the Gauteng Transport Minister is in Kak for doing a Malaysia “free lunch” all by himself and the Auditor General was forced to apologise to Jeff as the so called audit report stating that E-Natis had an 80% chance of failure was never actually sent to anyone.

Could the report have been written after the failure to cover someone’s ass?

I will leave you with that thought!

1 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Thanks lil bro!! Actually I check you blog every other day, just so that I know what you are up to!!!! *grin*. Greece was cool and got to live the life of a student for a couple of days hehe

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home