Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Weekend Off!

Well I finally managed to get away for the weekend!

It did help having a new financial guy who I could happily say to at 12 on Friday “Please process the following stuff” *wicked chuckle*

Zack arranged our weekend at MieMia which is a place we have heard of often but never managed to visit. Owned by an expat who used to work for Goldfields, decided to go on his own and as a sideline opened up a set of chalets. This with Boat, paddle ski’s and the like.

I got my directions from Zack – at the barrier turn left down a dirt road. Zack surprisingly did not follow his own directions and turned left at the police barrier as opposed to the customs barrier. He ended up in a village called “New York City”.

15km of 4x4 dirt road we ran into a wonderful bay with a fishing village out of the 1900’s Finding the way through the village was interesting as there was no road. You kinda found the widest spot between the stick and mud houses and kept on going.

MieMia has 5 chalets each sleeping 6. On the beach (and I mean literally on the beach) with warm water and soft surf.

Stunning is the only word for it!!

We drank a whole load, lay in the sea at midnight floating glasses and seeing which glasses came together. Rudie giving a monologue on how the two glasses represented marriage – you get the picture. Food was great. Chicken, ribs and Rice/ Salads from the nice lady who runs the place. She loaned us her chef and sound system for the weekend. Hospitality!

Some of the lads hired a local fishing boat for the morning and went fishing. They bought back 4 fish which after a lot of drinks, they admitted that their fishing was not good so they stopped at another fishing boat and purchased the fish that he had caught. Which ever way they got it – Okkie cooks up a mean fish on the coals.

We also managed to score some Crayfish (R50 a kg) and had a fish braai of note.

Did I say we drank a lot…… You know what it is like when you are drinking cappies and coke and you drink too much coke. I ended the evening drinking Captain Coffee’s as the coke was giving me a sugar rush of note. (and I had Hic cups)

One also does foolish things like take out the paddle ski’s at some god forsaken hour of the night and lie on the ski’s looking at the stars. Strange stuff we do when we are relaxing.

Rained on Sunday morning – which meant we did very little but clean up and set off for the cage once again.

We did play golf in the afternoon. (I did OK) and watched the Man U – Chelsea game. I swore a lot in the second half…..

Early to bed and I must admit I started work yesterday morning more relaxed than I have been in a long time.

Heres to the next trip!

1 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Nice descriptions. Glad to see that you finally got to relax a little in Ghana!! It is always good to pass the work on to someone else!!*grin* Wish I could do the same!!

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home