Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Home time? think again Oscar!!

It is Wednesday evening

The 13th

Unlucky for some…….

I am the unlucky one, as I am not currently in Accra. I am not going to be checking in at the airport tonight. I will not be on a plane to SA tonight. And worst of all – I will not be having wild sex tomorrow.

Why?

Cause my going home has been delayed by a week. The reasons for which are work related and I will not go into in any great depth. Needless to say, I am somewhat disappointed.

But - Life goes on.

I did have a minor brush with a mosquito which bought on the malaria symptoms on Monday. True to form the local clinic could not test me as “We have run out of reagents” was the answer when I toddled through for a test.

So in true Ghana fashion, I self medicated. And fortunately only had two days of the sweats, eye of a needle, sore as hell kinda feeling.

I am recovering nicely and will finish my 4 day course of anti bug muti. I also do not get a shock when I pee mud.

The week continues to be hectic, with a load of small work stuff to do as well. I delayed some of it safe with the knowledge that I am going home a week later.

I played golf on Sunday. An easily forgotten game, when I lost four balls. (two of them brand new). My short game is however getting better. The greens are not and I only had one monster put to talk of. (on the last hole)

No drinking sprees, no Jeri Card Games and generally a quiet time. Carl and Jeri bought back a lot of goodies from SA, so I am smoking SA ciggies, have decent peri peri and above all, they bought back Tastic Rice. Oh Orgasm stuff.

Jeri also bought back 4 books. I had read one, doused another one in a few days and missed the boat as Jeri reads faster than I do.

I am now reading Mens Health until a book becomes available.

I do believe it is time to go on a hooley

Catching up on the news I finally became aware of Zimbabwe and their “remove the zero’s from the notes” debacle. I have always wondered why many countries do not do that. I will however state without a doubt that I would have planned it a lot better. However planning is not the Zim governments’ strong point.

SA press also put an interesting swing on headlines as far as Zim goes. The headline read “Maize Grab in Zimbabwe”. Emotive. The facts of the matter was the defence force was mobilized to “assist” with transporting maize to the maize board. The problem arises when the farmers do not want the maize to go to the maize board, but rather hang onto what they have grown, use it for personal consumption and bartering/ counter trade.

Then we have a grab apparently.

Africa abounds. Now that we have a power shortage in Ghana, the price of Generators have shot up by some 100%. Over night. And this includes the so called “responsible multinational companies” I mean price gouge when you can huh. Corporate responsibility be damned.

Our job continues to amaze me. I have however learnt a lot of stuff over the last few months and am able to confidently argue points of a technical nature. Even the guy’s light hearted ribbing about the “bean counter” has slowed down. This bean counter can use a dumpy demmet!!! (wicked chuckle)

So – another week in the land of (long life) milk and (imported) honey.

Let’s see if I will survive!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

Really time you had some R&R, when you get excited about tastic rice ....

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home