Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Robbed!!

It took two years, but it has finally happened. I wuz robbed!!

It appears as if some little fucker took advantage of the fact that there is no-one in the house from around 5 to around 7 when I get home and decided to do some affirmative shopping.

My wonderful camera that has traveled around Africa with me is for sale somewhere in Ghana. So is my “wegloop geld” as well as a few Cedi’s I had on my desk. The lil bugger also snarfled my “You have $20,00 for emergency” note that resides in my Cheque Book cover. My Cheque Book is however safe and sound.

I am pissed off. I am also pissed off that I noticed the loss at 5am this morning, lying quietly in bed pondering the vagaries of life. My camera normally resides on my tripod. I gazed blankly at the tripod. You know what it is like when you know something is missing and you cannot place what it is. That was exactly what was going through my sleep befuddled brain.

As soon as I realised the camera was gone, my brain kicked in and thought “fark, I hope my money is still here”. In retrospect that was a foolish thought. But hey – it was early and I was not in top form.

I have reported the incident to Mine Security and I am safe with the knowledge that they will do what they are capable of.

That said – it appears the God Fearing Ghanians are less god fearing when there is a project around. Three times our Gang Boxes have been broken into and tools stolen. Each time we increase security.

One security Guard – one gang box broken into
Two Security Guards – two gang boxes
(you seeing the pattern here?)
Three security guards - Three gang boxes broken and items snarfled.

We finally pointed out this mathematical equation to the Mine Security, and lo and behold two arrests were made. (the third guy is on the run). The two arrested were – the night security guards: Who polices the policemen.

Mind you – pay the lads GHC 700.000 (R500.00) a month and expect them to guard R200.000 worth of tools.

Life in Africa! - you gotta love it!

I do

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home