Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Tourist 102

Quite a while ago I had occasion to visit Elmina Castle. I had not used my camera for a while since then – not even to taken naked pics of Nessers – so I forgot I did a point and shoot on that trip.

I have downloaded the pics off the chip and present them for you viewing pleasure.

Just as a background:

Cape Coast was one of the central points of the slave trade in the 17th and 18th century. A whole load of African Americans owe their American citizenship to this castle.

An even greater portion of Africans died before they even got to the American Shores.

The most interesting part of the history, in my opinion, was the actual collection of slaves was left up to local warlords who kidnapped people and sold them to the slave traders.

The slave gate picture to me is very interesting as it appears you had to be bloody skinny to fit on the ship. If you were fat, there was no ways you were going to fit through that gate.

A whole load of Americans come to Ghana each year to “trace back their roots”. My feeling is interestingly the Americans want to be like Ghanaians and the Ghanaians want to be like Americans. Ergo – both groups are disappointed.

A good tourist venue in Ghana – Cape Coast abounds with forts and castles, although what interested me was they charged a fair amount to get into the castle – including an additional charge per camera – but the place is exceedingly run down and dare I say, falling apart. Good venues such as this one needs to be protected in my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home