Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

IN keeping with my problem with Authority

Another week starts, and by the time I realise it, it is Wednesday.

To say I have hit the ground running is correct. However! I had the weekend off this weekend, thanks to my friends at IT who wanted to play games with the database. (true to form today we get a mail bemoaning the fact that the database has folded in upon itself and a restore was required. Net effect: All Tuesdays work was lost. Net effect for me: Nada cause I did no input yesterday: hehehe

That said – the weekend:

As mentioned in the previous blog the beach was going to be a fun option. That was until Zack phoned from Obuasi and mentioned spit braai and party. Quick phone call to Marco to confirm that we had place to sleep and Obuasi became an attractive place to be.

Off we toddle to the local Captain Morgan Shop and purchase 2 x captains and 4 x Beer. Why so little you ask. Well – both Carlos and Myself did not have much money *chuckle* But the four beers lasted us until the T junction. *ewg*

The weekend was thus pork leg on the spit, loads of captains and bouts of tossing a rugby ball around. Standing in the rain cooling off towards the end of the evening was a bonus. The food was good (Garlic and more Garlic), booze was enough and company was great.

Sunday AM wake up was somewhat difficult thanks to sore muscles from the running around the day before. Gawd am I unfit and an old man.

That also said – it was decided to finally erect the bicycle and start doing something to increase the lung capacity and our shag limits. Carlos being a mechanic was entrusted with the task and before long we were proud fathers of a bike in the corner of the lounge smiling happily at us.

Since that date, we have with long teeth and not a small amount of moaning completed our 4km per day at an average speed of 24kmph. The tension is only at level 3 but we are starting slowly. By 2009 we should be up to 4km at level 9. *chuckle*

Can I feel a difference after 4 days? No. Unless you count the sore legs! But with each one egging the other on…. We shall overcome. Maybe when I get back down south Nessers will not have to be on top quite so much. *smile*

Once again today I have fallen foul of the local federales!! It appears while I was pigging out on sushi in South Africa, the requirement to wear a safety belt was made law. Of course I only hear about this AFTER the fact. Normally I am very good with wearing my seat belt, but as luck would have it, today was one of those bad days. Billy the Nick pulls me over and here I am thinking they want their GHC50.000 from the money man. Nope: He quite happily proceeds to kak on me for not wearing a seat belt. 6.45am – I am NOT a morning person. Do NOT kak on me until I have had my cuppa. Needless to say I waxed lyrical about how he was stopping me, but no other people etc etc.

It was proven that he had not charged (formally anyway) any other person with not wearing a seat belt. I refused point blank to dash the problem away, so I am in the proud possession of a little note on white paper telling me that I should pitch up at the local circuit court on 08/11/2005 at 9am.

I have already started my written presentation. I mean they canna lock you up for not wearing a seat belt can they!! At most it is going to cost me time and money. All this instead of paying the dash and carrying happily on. But today I am having my “problem with authority” day – as one of our lads in SA found out when they decided to replace a perfectly fine “advance form” with a new version that did not take into account the fact that we are not based in Head Office – or for that matter even in South Africa.

Tomorrow I am off for a series of meetings at Obuasi before toodling off to Accra for a series of meetings there.

We are also planning a trip to Burkina Faso in the next two weeks. I do get to the most exotic locations.

I am also planning a return trip to Nigeria as well as a trip to Benin. Be still my beating heart :

Other than that: Life goes on

All is well at home, besides Lisa asking for money for a broken car and a broken TV. I have looked at my credit card statement in disgust and realise that I was quite the spender while down south. Ahh well – we live but once. However over R1000 on sushi was rather interesting. (We ignore the GPS, new shoes and other goodies for the moment). Hehe

Fun people – I hope you have a smile on your face, and are at least getting regular nookie…..!

Till next time 

(Oh yes – I have started my economics tutorial. A micro Economic Analysis on why Anglo American PLC has decided to disinvest from AngloGold Ashanti and concentrate on the platinum sector. It is proving to be quite fun)

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

omg! you're actually excercising! oh wait, it's now 5 days later, I should rather ask, "are u still excercising?" ;)

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home