Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Monday, November 14, 2005

Of trips postponed and clothes not packed

Another Monday in the sprawling Metro of Tarkwa and the missive gets another chapter.

We had a “pelican” (as the site lads called poor Gerick – and me I think) from SA to review the site job we are busy with in Obuasi. Needless to say he cursed about the road from Accra to Obuasi and would have cursed about the road from Tarkwa to Accra as well.

(Definition: Pelican (slang). Comes in, bobs its head around, drops shite all over the place and flies away again)

That said – My packing skills (or lack thereof) continue to plague me. Having two abodes – one in Tarkwa and one in Accra – I have got into the habit of leaving clothes at both places which generally means I have to pack less when I travel between the two towns. Where I get a bit lost is when I have to go via Obuasi. On two occasions now, I have found myself in Obuasi with no shirts. Last week was a tad embarrassing as I had already loaned a shirt from Zack the week before. To resolve the situation I had to send one of the lads from site to buy me shirts. I got one really foul one and a very nice polo shirt for R150.00 total. Still had me cursing.

I was due to go to Burkina Faso this week, but said Pelican used my car to go to Accra and catch the Sunday flight. Once again the new flights caught us out. U see. When the flight leaves at 23.55 it is a Saturday. When it leaves at 02.35 it is a Sunday. Poor old Gerick arrived at the airport at midnight to find that his flight had actually left at 02.35 on Sunday and it was now Monday in airline parlance. He is now rebooked on Tuesday at 02.35 which means he has to check in on Monday. Tres confusing.

My car therefore does not return, Burkina trip would only commence on Wednesday, which would leave insufficient time to get anything done before the weekend. Apparently the French lads in Burkina take weekends off. (and 2 hour lunch hours, but that’s a different story)/ The trip is now rescheduled for Sunday.

The weekend was work work work, with a tender due on Tuesday, two mines wanting prices on rather large jobs and another lad from SA arriving to work out my local staff’s training requirements. Needless to say there was not much time spent at home.

I did toddle over to Rudy’s for “lunch” at 5pm on Sunday which was a great Beef Roast, creamed veggies (yes I ate them AND enjoyed it) and a wonderful potato bake. Great Chef is our Rudy. There was a bit of Captains enjoyed but we did spend some time making nice brochures for a tender they were doing.

Home, couch, Troy (good movie) and sleep. In that order.

I awoke early – packed (and realised all my long pants are in Accra) and toodled off to work after buying a lighter. (well 4 actually as Ghana lighters tend to self destruct after using it a dozen times or so). There is a thing that bugs me when you live with other people. I had 3 perfectly good lighters from SA that I bought around 6 months ago. Total amazement that I did not lose my white lighter and it finally ran out on me. I can count on one hand how many times that has happened. I knew I had the spares, but when it came to actually finding them on the lounge desk. They had been appropriated. *growl*

A few items from Ghana news?

The only interesting item I picked up since my last blog was the fact Ghana presented their 2006 budget last week. It is the first time since independence (48 years ago) that the budget has been presented before the start of the budget year. That in itself needs to be applauded.

Company tax and personal tax was reduced to 25% from 28% and tax free limits were lifted. Noble I must admit, but one would question reducing revenue from taxation in a country that needs as much development as Ghana does.

A deficit is budgeted for which is less than 3% of GDP. Not bad given the development they need in Ghana.

No breakdown of what was given to where formed part of the budget. This was the one major failing and led me to believe that the other departments did not finish their budget in time.

There was no major comment on Macro items and Fuel imports were left static which could be interesting as the year progresses.

$8,2 billion debt was or will be written off by Ghana’s creditors. While saving on interest, I will be interested to see how much Ghana will borrow in the next 12 months. There is already talk in the press that they are looking for a $1.2 billion loan for infrastructure development.

The government reiterated its intention to ensure a minimum wage of $2.00 per day by 2008. The current minimum wage is GHC13.000 per day ($1.48).

With Ghana a member of ECOWAS it was noted that monetary unity was postponed to 2009. Of interest was the targeted establishment of a common customs union by 2007

Comment was made as to the 14% projected increase in tourism in 2006 and the substantial increase in the number of available hotel rooms from 28.000 to 34.000 in 2006. (estimate of some 40 additional hotels). Further note was taken of the commitment to building low cost houses

Government has committed themselves to creating legislation to channel long term institutional funds into mortgage financing as well as tax deductions from personal tax for mortgage interest. They also announced assistance to developers of 1.000 units or more. This will in no doubt assist the formal housing market.


An interesting budget. Not comprehensive such as our South African one, but one that sets out the processes for 2006. One hopes the implementation is speedy as well.

The budget was called “The Good News Budget” and quite honestly it could be good news.

I have a meeting on the mine. So let me post this and Vanish!

Have fun people and peoplesses

3 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

2 hour lunch breaks and they knock off at 14:30 ?
although .... 2 hour lunch breaks usually mean they work until 8 at night, depending on if it's government or private.

Hey, packing skills (or lack thereof) is always a great reason to shop! not that you really need a reason to shop ;)

11:03 PM  
Blogger dom said...

Get Yourself a Zippo !
Fill it up ,put in a new flint , then ignite your whole arm as you try it !!!
I have blogrolled you so , I can come back and read more of your adventures..
Please come by me and leave a Ghananian flag .

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop flag hunting Dom!

Antoine! I need South Africa! Well, Ghana too, but I need South Africa so please stop by. You do not have to leave a comment to leave your flag.

I'm a bad, bad lighter thief. It's truly unintentional. It angers my friends when I've left and they go to light up. They probably didn't mean to either. I could never keep up with a zippo, plus it looks a bit manly for a woman to use a Zippo. IMHO.

Have a wonderful day. DS

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home