Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Of Site and Sound Mind??

Another Sunday – another week passes us by :- Another week closer to home time: (In theory one month).

What has happened this week to young Tones?

Well loads actually: Lets see:

Our site manager on one of our projects was sent home due to medical problems, which left the site sans a site manager. I decided to step into the breach until something more permanent could be found. I learnt a hell of a lot about the job, worked on my fear of heights as the lads took me to look at all kinds of places so I would know what the hell I was talking about, sweated like a dog, got to enjoy cold showers at night when I got home (Can NEVER enjoy cold showers in the morning!!) and in all honesty had a load of fun.

Did I achieve much there? - Yup – I think I can honestly say I contributed positively.

That wonderful feeling when the door you have been knocking on for almost a year opens a crack and a sliver of light comes in…. well that happened this week when the one mine we had not been able to break into decided it was open season on Group Five and I am now spending my Sunday doing wonderful stuff like method statements, work plans, HSE Statements and Plans and other amazing stuff the lads in SA do on a regular basis.

Will we crack it? It appears 80% on the positive side. We should know by next week Thursday! So – Hold Thumbs. Everyone here has just that little more of a spring in their step.

The lads in Obuasi decided to spring a surprise on me on Friday night and took me to the top of the mountain. The road was 4x4 trial stuff and Zack had a cutlass (Panga to the South Africans) with which he made like Livingston and cut offending branches that blocked the road. On more than one occasion we thought he was going to chop his leg off as the swings were quite energetic.

The view was stunning and a definite return with the camera and long lenses is on the cards. What I also learn is the place is a firm favorite for the mine lads to come up and braai. While we were up there around 8 vehicles made the trip and a farewell party for one of the mine expats ensued. Met a few mine lads, supped our Captains the lads had bought up the hill and got home very relaxed around 8pm.

I must admit, having a rip roarer on the mountain (hill) and having to drive down the goat track is NOT something I would like to be part of.

Back in Tarkwa for a few days – to catch up all the work that has fallen into my tray since I decided to play site person. And I assume another 6 hour trip to our potential new client on Wednesday.

The lads are busy!

And best I get busy as well…..

2 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Glad you are hoppy, lil bro. You as usual seem to be having fun!!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Esther said...

but driving down shouldn't be a problem? even if you are a teensy bit tipsy. Just put the 4x4 in gear and let it find it's own way down ...

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home