Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Tuesday Missive

A Tuesday missive for some reason as I have been in workaholic mood and could not find the time to wax lyrical on Sunday, or for that matter yesterday.

The access issues on the puter seem to be resolved (for the moment). I hate people that cannot admit that they have changed something and walk through the change to see what went wrong. It was finally resolved by me making changes via them to all my passwords and them realising that the access server was not actually set up to recognize the Ghana network. All the time I have taken to sync my passwords across all the systems has gone out the window. One day they will have a common password for all access to the network.

This weekend entailed a full day’s work on Saturday doing the punch clerk thing while periodically cursing the fact that using jdE on a web interface is most frustrating. The fact that the system validates each field as you enter it means you enter and wait the 10 – 30 seconds for the screen to refresh. You can see whoever tests the system, do so over a LAN.

That said, there was a farewell for one of the mine lads on Saturday night and for the life of me I forgot clean about it. I am so bloody used to going home with nothing to do that I plonked myself on the couch and watched our SA teams getting thumped in the Super 12. Come bedtime at 10pm I saw a missed call from Albert at 7pm and wondered why he would be phoning me at that time. That’s when it dawned on me that I had forgotten about the party. From the reports it was a goody.

The fact that I had finished all my clerk work on the Saturday meant that I did not have to go in on Sunday. Which was a bonus. I absolutely vegged. I only got into the shower at around 12 after waking up at 7. I watched TV, read my book, played around on the computer and generally did not see the outside until around 3pm when I moved onto the stoep to read and enjoy the fresh air.

Saturday night we had the mother of all thunder storms and the noise woke me up a few times. The first clap of thunder that woke me up sounded like a transformer exploding outside my window. It was a stunning rain and lying in bed listening to it beat down on the roof made me hanker after a nekked Nessers on my left hand side. *chuckle*

On Sunday night my DSTV decided to display an error 30 just as I was about to watch “league of extraordinary gentlemen”. After suitably cursing for around 10 minutes, I decided that book time was in order and I retired to bed to complete my latest Fredrik Forsythe Novel.

Monday I was in a reconciliation mood. Those of you that know me know that if there is one thing I hate, that is recons. However I do get in the mood to stick my head down, grab the highlighter and attempt to work out what the people that put entries in my books were thinking as they punched the entry. I knocked out all the balance sheet stuff and am only left with Statutory Income statement goodies. I did realize that some of the stuff I did in January should not have been done without the relevant information available and spend a bit of time correcting that.

Last night was very much more of the same, with a late leave from the office due to me taking advantage of my mood to kill off the work and a reasonable dinner of Lamb and Tatties. (Lunch was foul and I eat a few mouthfuls of a vile pie). More TV – it was working again thank gawd – and sleep at around 10.

I did get an SMS from a very very old friend in the form of Ronnie, who I phoned and she filled me in on all the exciting stuff that is happening in her life. Her daughter is the same age as Lisa and had just got a tattoo. I thank my stars sometime *chuckle*. She was in SA in February (she currently lives in the UK) and I was most unhappy that I missed her. Her hubby is in SA in April and I may meet up with him if our timing gels.

She still refuses to send me nekked pics *sigh*

Today is very much more of the same as regards getting the month in data input complete and a site visit this afternoon. Having finished the invoicing, I am smiling as once again we have exceeded budget.

I am actually in a most chipper mood this morning, and have a smile on my face from ear to ear. Not sure why, but hey – I like it!

As far as Ghana news is concerned, there is not much new and the fuel price, Rawlings Doctorate and crime still make the news on a daily basis with no indication that any of the parties will change their views sometime soon.

One thing that does make the news on a regular basis is the size of Kufours Government with a total of 78 ministers and deputies. There is word in the vine that a further 2 ministers will be appointed making it a total of 80. Seems to me like a hell of a lot of people considering that each one is supported by a team of Government employees. But hey TIA.

And that fun people is an update on my news for the weekend. It is Easter coming up and we still mooting an Easter weekend in Accra.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paris Travel Courtesan said...

Enjoy Easter. Do you have easter bun and cheese there in Ghana? In the caribbean we have bun and cheese. Its really yummyyyyyyyy...
Its sad that crime is on the rise in Ghana!!! Have several friends from ghana here in europe. Plan to visit soon. Yes, indeed..Mother Africa. Happy Easter and warm regards from Kathleen

7:35 PM  
Blogger Esther said...

Next time you write something for the company newspaper, ask if they will put a map of africa, with ghana clearly marked.
It's a sad day when you forget about a party, Mr Workaholic ;)

8:03 AM  
Blogger Antoine said...

Nope Kathleen, No easter buns, but I am going to find some choccie.

Esther - yup - I am mortified that I am losing my party animal status

Jane: My GF keeps me very happy with nekked pics, Ronnie be an very old friend and her hubby might take exception to her sending me nekked pics *chuckle* But as they say in the classics "If you never ask - You never get"

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home