Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Friday, August 31, 2007

African Airlines

Today I had another experience with the vagaries of African airlines.

One has a ticket "confirmed" for 16:15 on a Friday afternoon. One arrives at the airport at 3pm and hands the aforesaid ticket in.

Problem #1 happens when one's ticket is left on a pile when boarding passes are issued to all and sundry.

Problem #2 is more severe when you see the nice lady selling tickets to other people.

Problem #3 is when you ask (in english) what the problem is and she answers in french and points to a booking list for 9am that morning where my name is.

Call the translator and he yabbers away in French and confirms that despite my ticket details, I was booked by the airline that morning.

Chirp and phone the agent in Lumabambashi who "will check up and phone me back"

Net effect: Phone hotel and pray they still have a room. Happily confirm that they do and ask them to please hold it for me. Phone travel agent and say best you get me on the Saturday flight and happily be advised that the plane is full.

Say to travel agent - "Best you make a plan"

As we stand now I have been advised to go to the airport tomorrow at 8am and hopefully get on the plane. If not - I am faced with an 8 hour trip on apparently scary roads for the 350km to Lumambashi.


Welcome to DRC Tony - hope you enjoy your stay!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home