Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Telephones

Something that amazes me, as I sat on the loo reading the newspaper, is how Telkom in South Africa justifies their rates on international phone calls. Here we are in Ghana, with two mobile phone company's are Ghana Telekoms and their price to 99% of countries in the world is c3.620 per minute. At the current exchange rate of c1.344/ZAR1.00 that is R2.69 / minute. The same call if originated from South Africa, via the Telkom system (and for that matter MTN or Vodacom - oh yeah and Cell C) is R17.00/minute.

And they wonder why growth is stifled in South Africa.

*sigh*

2 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

you got your telephone account? and the company refused to pay?

5:53 PM  
Blogger Antoine said...

Nope - My first phone bill is due next week, so we shall see what the damage is. And GF: The picture is not what one would call a good one, but thats where the problem hit me - I do my best thinking on the loo - and in the shower

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home