Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Monday, August 30, 2004

New House - New Issues

Well there we have it!!!

I am officially in my new house. Clothes unpacked, pictures put in their place, Radcliffe on the top of the bed and my pc set up on the dining room table.

A few issues need to be resolved.

1. My house leaks – yes it is raining (again) and it is a good time to mark the leaks. Lucky there is no carpets or the place will stink.
2. The place does smell. For some reason there is a smell of fish that pervades the lounge and my bedroom side. (silly construction as you will see by the pics). I will make it my mission to find the source of the smell!
3. I have no food in the house at all. I do however have a bottle of Captain’s and a fridge full of cokes. Now hows that for priorities. Heheh
4. There is no TV. Stock of DSTV decoders will be here “Wednesday” but even if that was here, the actual TV does not work. Something to change tomorrow.
5. I have a nice micro, but still no stove. Another one for the to do lists.

But I am a hoppy chappy!!!!!

I can now smoke!!! In my house!!! Without going to battle the mozzies. Now that’s a bonus. Rose evidently knew my feelings as she has purchased 2 ashtrays.

The knife set will last a week it is so “made in china” so I will go on a search for a decent knife or 6.

Which brings me to a small sojurn that I took into the back part of Tarkwa. Curious lad that I am, I wanted to see what was “on the other side of the hill” Very friendly people on the otherside of the hill, everyone waves, cars flash their lights and hoot. Very nice people.

That was until a guy shouted out to me “This is a one way!” Farked if I could see a no entry sign, but I was quite happily toddling down a one way street the wrong way. So no issue, turn into the next available street. Still a one way heading the wrong way, and still no “No Entry” signs. Ended up reversing, doing a U turn and heading back the way I came duly chastised!. It seems you have to know which roads are one way and which are not, as there are definitely no signs indicating anything. Methinks I will park and walk. Hehe.

So there we have it. Still have the lurgy, but am not feeling totally iffy, and am smiling.

Now for a phone line!!

Have a fun one!!



1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

that actually looks like a pretty decent house. I was expecting a shack! Is that a lawn I see? That's going to need mowing? ;)

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home