Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Roads and stuff

Over the past week or so, in my travels I have come across numerous wrecks and accidents on the side of the road.

I accept the fact that accidents are part of life, but quite honestly with the state of the roads been the way they are, I fail to understand how people can get up sufficient speed to wreck their vehicles so badly. As expected most accidents are head on, as the cars bob and weave on the road in order to avoid the worst of the potholes.

I am sure given the will, one should be able to sue the government for damage caused to their vehicles by the shocking state of the roads.

With that in mind, I am giving my Gelunderwagen back to the lad who hired it to me to replace the shocks, sort out the wheel alignment and the indicators that have suddenly stopped working. I have also been pulled over twice by the local police as my front numberplate is partially blocked by the cowcatcher in the front of the vehicle. So in line is a cute lil Honda 4x4 auto for the same price. I hope the aircon is as good as the wagen as it topped 94F today 35C and is as muggy as hell. I have stood in front of my poor suffering aircon more then a few times today.

I should - and I use that word advisedly - move into my house over the weekend, as it appears the last tenants "do not have a car" and had not yet moved out as of last night There is also the small matter of filling the house with furniture and getting the aircons installed.

Which brings me onto a new subject:

Homeused - a term in Ghana that signifies second hand. You can buy second hand anything here, from fridges, TV's Clothes, Shoes and even pots and pans. SO all you people fom Europe that get rid of second hand stuff. It finds a home in Ghana. They also re-use anything and everything. Take a chunk of concrete that was left on the side of the road. 3 days later it was transformed into around 30 bricks Wooden Pallets - no problem, these are used as the frame of your new lounge suite (which numerous people build on the side of the road). Old cars are stripped for parts, and if they want to work underneath the car, no problem, turn the car on its side, do the work and then pop it back on it's wheels. A few scratches to the door never hurt anyone.

The more I stay here, the more I respect the people that live here and eke out a living. A further shock came my way few days ago when I got a letter from the 2 ladies who "clean" the office. The want an increase. Which I spose is everyones requirement. However on looking at what they earn (c200.000 - circa R130 USD20) a MONTH, I do think they have a case. The reason why they are paid so little? "well they from the village" I cannot understand this kind of attitude amoung people. These are the same people who earn c7.000.000 and still want an increase, but are quite happy to exploit someone with no education.

and on that note.

Have a good one!

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

I want an increase! Seeing as I'm the only one commenting ;)

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home