Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Sunday, August 15, 2004

Sunday Stuff

Well once again it is wet and warm... now why did that seem soo nice a few weeks ago *wicked chuckle*. We have had rain for a few days now and everything is muddy and soggy and if it is possible the road home has got worse *chuckle*.

Visited customers this week, which could be quite inefficient as on Thursday we spent 7.5 hours in the car (180kms each way) to have a 40 minute meeting. It did however generate some more business. On the way I found out that Ghana cops have speed traps. Yup! in a small village in the middle of the Jungle out pops speedy and his trusty Laser Gun. The type that was declared unlawful in SA years ago cause nothing stops Nick from shooting the speed of one car, and then using the same speed on the next 40 cars. That said however we were going a tad fast 79kmph as opposed to the posted 50kmph, so not much was going to be said about that.

The driver was taken away to road court, where we had to bail him out. GHC200.000 (R150) did the trick and after around 10 mins we were on our merry way. That said I did the foolish thing to give Speedy MY licence as he was battling to spell my name, and the bugger wanted to keep it to make sure the driver showed up the following day. That was when "be nice to the locals" vanished from my mind and shades of Ermilo came out. He was shocked enough to give me back my lil piece of paper so all could continue.

Seems like everytime I do not watch the rugger, we win. That said it was a good win and horror upon horrors we may actually make the Tri Nations Final - at home!!!

Fuel stations (as we know them) are few and far between here, and with my Galuderwagen been a gas guzzler of note - oh yes! I have worked out that using 4wd all the time smooths out the bumps in the road - we were forced to fill up at a roadside filling station.

I need to take a picture of these, but imagine a cutout in the jungle, with three steel tanks filled with diesel and petrol. There is a 1900's type fuel pump with a gallon jar in the top. The basic principle is you pump the jar full from the steel tank and once it is full, flip a lever and syphon the fuel into the tank. This process is repeated as many times as required. I would imagine filling up a truck from here is a mission of note.

Sunday at work - well blogging as well - started with me waking up at 6:30. I am buggered if I am going to get to work at 6.30 on a Sunday. I have packed the camera in the car, so once I have finished the little that I have to do, I will take a trip and see if the light is good enough for some photo work.

Sheesh - amazing that I am taking pic's of Nature and the Like and not nekked pics of nessers as usual *extra wicked chuckle*

With that note - 51 days to Hometime - and boy am I looking forward to it. Maybe I now know what 90 days in Chookie feels like!

Have a Hoppy one!

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

you and cops and speed traps and strong language. Imagine what a night in jail over there would be like *evil chuckle* But then again, you might enjoy it with bubba .....

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home