Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Lets try this again

Another Sunday and 3 more weekends left before I get on a plane and be back home. Boy am I looking forward to it!!!.


Once again though I am afflicted by the Ghana Lurgy, having concentrated weight loss programs of sweats, light headed and the squirts. No idea what bought it on, the chicken lunch on Friday comes to mind, but what it has meant is little food past my lips and a large amount of time sleeping on the couch.

I did attack it today with week old pizza, additional cheese and pickled chilli. Show that bloody tummy who is boss demmet!!. We had a house guest on Thursday and Friday with a guy from head office who does “where is our future” seminars, one of which I attended in JHB my first month with the company. He made a most entertaining house guest and we dealt the bottle of captains a severe blow – Nessers send more captains – while talking about all kindsa stuff. Two late nights in a row. And the 5am wake ups, maybe that’s why my body kills me.

Keith has been constantly reminding me what punda looks like and when ever my outlook strains over a 3MB email, I know that’s Keith and my fresh batch of “reminders” Thanks Bud keep them coming.

I am getting into the swing of things and the constant pressure of keeping all kinds of customers happy is actually quite fun. It gets to the stage where we worked until 8pm on Thursday to catch up and complete the month end, hoping to get new stuff done on Friday and I was forced to dash over to a mine around 90 mins away to deal with a problem they had with a piece of their equipment. The accountant did not do badly at all and even identified what the problem was. (The solution however was provided by the technical Walla’s). And that’s the fun part of the Job. I am actually learning a whole range of new things every day.

I was forced to take the back roads of Tarkwa again today due to the main road closed off due to roadworks. I also heard the main Bogoso road was closed due to a cement truck overturning and a wood truck that tried to slip around the side of the cement truck and also ended up on its side. Could have taken a while to clear up that mess. The back part of the on is more of a township then the front part, and it does look like government (or someone) got stuck in with over 300 low cost 30 square meter houses. All identical, all the same color and most with zinc additions tagged on. The road – if possible – was worse then we travel on and I was guided as to direction by the radio mast at the top of the hill. I did make it back onto the main road with only one U turn required, and I even noticed the (small) no entry sign which prevented me from repeating the same mistake I made last week. 

The fact the road was closed meant I did not get to the clinic for another malaria test, and if I am still feeling kak tomorrow, …………………….

The joys of writing a missive and then been interrupted by an invite to a braai, and going even tho I felt kak means I stopped above and continue the Tuesday night.

Uneventful start to the week, but thank goodness the lurgy has left me. Must have been a dash of food poisoning which was dosed on Sunday night with lashings of captain. That evidently chased the lad away.

Had a reasonably busy day at the office both yesterday and today, punctuated by a small fracas with the workers. Due to a fark up, I had overpaid them all last month and setting out to recover the funds, was met by a work stoppage. All resolved simply though by the guys on site and life goes on. One thing that will happen after this little episode is they have cooked their goose as far as me assisting them in any way. I hate people who all they want to do is take with nothing in return.

As I write my blog entry tonight, we have no TV due to the sat system resetting itself to SA settings for some silly reason, and us having no local number to contact. The international Mnet line closes at 5pm – us guys in deepest darkest Africa do not have problems at night evidently – and the normal SA guys have no idea what the Ghana settings are.

Ergo – my blog gets time and I will finish my book tonight no doubt.

I must admit I have found Friends and the Block – which I love – so that would be normal TV as I know it at home. Wednesday nights are ER, which is advertised at 6pm CAT which will be 4pm our time. However friends was advertised at the same time and we watched it at 7:30 local time. There is hope yet.

3 weekends left until I jet home – and besides loads and I mean LOADS of nookie, it will be good to spend some time in civilization.

People have asked for more pics. To be honest my camera is sitting on the sideboard as the weather has been most foul the last few weeks. Cloudy, rain on and off and muggy muggy heat. I have however promised myself a trip this weekend towards the coast (again – hehe) and hopefully there will be enough light to take some pics.

Other then that good people – life goes on, with not much to report at all. So until next time I hit the update button – have a goody huh

AND SEND NEKKED PICS………

Which reminds me – Roux – my housemate for the next 60 days, has a habit of switching on Fashion TV in the morning – how cruel is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

excuses, excuses! post pictures demmit!
I don't understand what's wrong with watching fashion tv in the mornings? You're not interested in what's the latest fashion in shoes and handbags? *innocent look*

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home