Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Hot Water?

The house is taking shape, thanks to a lovely care pack from Nessers which contained spices, chilli, peri peri, Biltong, Pestle and Mortar, Red Knickers and other nice stuff.

The joys however was my first bath - yup - the promised shower has not materialised - and after 1 inch of water was in the bath there was no hot water left. This was besides the fact that it took 20 mins to get the water in. Result: A cold bath that took 40 mins to run.

The next day our friendly landlord is called over and "told" about the problem. He promises faithfully to rectify it. How he does this is rather interesting. I get home on Monday night and find both Geysers gone! Day two with a cold bath.

Tuesday night as I wander into the house, the first thing I note in my room is the Geyser switch is on. (here the switch is like a light switch where u can switch the Geyser on and off due to the high cost of electricity). My Geysers are back. I turn on the water and - nothing!! - no water at all.

A visit to the back of the house where the water tank is reveals that the line to the house is turned off and there is a pressure pump that has been installed. Will never pass the electrical society test as it is plugged into a standard plug which is outside. (note to self when it rains and the electricity trips). Open the valve and presto - water - hot - and lots of it.

I had a very nice hot bath last night with use of the handshower for the hair and body and funny bitz. I am hoppy!!!!

I have a house guest for the next six weeks so bang goes me walking around nekked. He may get worried *chuckle*

Slowly stuff is coming together :- I am (almost) over my unhoppiness and am getting used to this dull pounding in my head. As long as there are no voices - I am happy :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

they promised you a shower? and u believed them? ;)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Glad to hear there are "no voices yet" and that you are slowly becoming your hoppy self again! :) Shortly you can start counting the days ....... if you didn't already :p

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home