Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Saturday, September 11, 2004

Left Hand Drive

My entire life I have driven on the Left Hand side of the road, in right hand drive cars. Now I am working in a country where the opposite applies. It requires intense concentration most of the time to make sure that you keep on the correct side of the road, especially when turning corners. I find myself at an intersection waiting for the car from the left to pass before I turn, as opposed to the car from the right.

While not on the loo, this issue came to mind. When you drive a vehicle down south and hit the next country that drives on the Left Hand Side, how do you switch over?. Is there one single lane that you drive down individually and then change over, or is it a bun fight where everyone plays switchback and ensure that they avoid the cars from the other direction.

A conundrum ...

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

gives new meaning to "go play in the traffic". Don't try it!

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home