Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Sunday, January 22, 2006

What did you do over Xmas?

What has happened in my world since I hopped on a plane just before Xmas, and started the holiday thang!

As I mentioned in previous blogs, we got very busy very quickly in December. Methinks it had something to do with the gold price shooting to $550/oz and staying there.

All that meant was that there were a load of stuff to do before I got on the plane.

The fact that I got on the plane meant it was done and dusted to everyone’s satisfaction. For that – I was eternally grateful. Spending Xmas in Ghana was not very high on my to do list I had to admit.

Xmas was a family day at the house; my wonderful roasts, salads and real ice cream went down a treat! (with me! – not too sure about anyone else grin) I scored well with a wonderful watch (branded as well!!) from Nessers, great French wine from the old man and some nice stuff from the kiddies. I also received a dance game, which deserves a paragraph.

I am not too sure how many of you frequent arcades. But there is this interesting little dance game which basically consists of a floor unit with 4 touch pads and a screen. The song plays (honkey tonk style) and on the screen a list of symbols scroll by telling you where to put your feet. The result of the game is you dance like a frog in a blender.

The reason why the game made its way into my present pile was mainly due to my total lack of rhythm when dancing. (according to some people – according to me I dance like no-ones looking – chuckle).

The fact that in order to crack it you need to do the frog in blender routine, it was no surprise that the highest score (after some libation) was obtained by ME!!!!!!

Enuff said!

26th saw Nessers and I take the lemming run to Durbs for a few days. The drive was pleasant and the speed traps many. The fact that you cannot go really fast in Ghana has rubbed off onto my South African Travel and the boys in Khaki did not stop me once. A Chevy Blazer had a horrendous start to their holiday by been pulled over at around 180kmph. This happened right in front of me near Escourt and to be honest the cop that jumped out into the fast lane to pull him over must have balls of steel.
How he got away without becoming a hood ornament could only have been due to three angels watching over him.

The weather was fine in Durbs, despite the incessant rain they had experienced, and we managed to shop some, see movies, eat from restaurants and have take aways and suntan.

I did mention previously that Nessers finally got onto the clothing optional beach and we worked on our all over tans. (SPF 40 on my tender bits). Was quite a chuckle as most of the sun worshippers were over 60 and men, but there were a few similar types on the odd day.

The one classic was the arrival of the Metro Police at the lagoon and the announcement over the loudspeaker that “ This is not a nudist beach, please get sort of decent or you will be charged with public indecency” Everyone dutifully put something on and the cop drove away happy. Everyone duly took off his or her clobber once he had crossed the dune.

The time at the coast was stunning and I must admit I came back very relaxed.

Relaxed enough not to be concerned with the fact that the lads who run our computer system were not around to run restatements on the ledgers. I managed to waste four half days at work waiting for this to be done so I could do my recons and get back on holiday.

As I mentioned a few months ago, I am busy doing a course through Unisa. There is a study school at the end of January and instead of me flying back to Ghana and then back to SA the following week, I get to stay at the office and run Ghana remotely.

I am thus taking advantage of this extended period at home to do some much-needed home repairs. Barret Pools turned out to be a total waste of time after finishing off the relining of the pool in October, but failing to install the solar heating. When I was finally able to get hold of them, it appears they under quoted so are just walking away from their quote. The only good thing about it is that I did not pay them the final R3000 for the pool and they can whistle for it.

So I am having the solar done by another “reputable” supplier for slightly above the original cost, finally removing the window in the bar and replacing it with a sliding door so I can get into the back garden without going through the kitchen and removing the breakfast nook wall in order to open the kitchen up more.

Lisa is painting the flatlet and it has been decided that we will let it out as it is a waste of resources not to,

My pool is still not coming right and apparently you have to replace the sand every three odd years? That is now been done next week.

Gawd I wish I knew more about swimming pools.

I have also signed up at www.reporter.co.za - go have a look at it. A wonderful local news concept, which may or may not take off.

So there you have it! An update on my time in SA. Not as interesting as my time in Ghana, but I do enjoy the food here – pat of rotund tummy – and the regular nookie is a bonus!

More soon!

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

that reporter thingy is kewl, especially that comments are allowed.

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home