Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Friday, May 20, 2005

Already the End of Week 2 and stuff happens at Home!

Tis a Friday: Tis also Friday 20th – which means it is Nessers Birthday. So from here to there – across the 6000km – HAPPY BIRTHDAY NESSERS!!

She has now reached the age that she will not tell anybody how old she is, so been 35 before this birthday is where she is going to stop apparently!

She sent me some sexy pics of her when she was 35 and I received some sexy ** year old pics this morning. I could not see the difference.

Another set of home news is Keith has proven he is not shooting blanks and Sam is preggers. (Sam is a lass for those not in the know). SO from this side to there – across the 6000km – CONGRATULATIONS KEITH AND SAM!!

What this does mean is we have a guaranteed driver for the next 6 months as Sam will not be drinking, and in around 8 months time, we will be having the parties at their place, not getting totally ratted, playing the music softly and having Sam vanish every 3 minutes to check on the little one. *chuckle*

Since I got back to Ghana two weeks ago – goodness it has been two weeks already! – I have had my head stuck down in all sorts of stuff and it has flown by. Today for some reason I sat in the office and realised that all of a sudden I was up to date! It is most frustrating to sit here and have to think of what to do as opposed to working ones way through a to do list – yup I do to do lists!

I toddled over to two of our sites this morning, surfed the Internet for a while – watch the thought police send a memo to HR – and now sit and update my blog.

DSTV did a “system error” on me on Wednesday, where for some reason I could watch the HBO standup special on channel 2. Channel 2 has always come up with an error “not allowed in this country”. But Wednesday night I was able to catch some 40 odd minutes of HBO. While chucking at some really good stand-up of a yank poking fun at Yanks (and anyone else who got in the way), the decoder reset and all I could receive was some Portuguese channel. And my 141 channels of junk had become 4 channels of Junk in a language I did not understand.

That left me with my book.

Yesterday an email to DSTV elicited a standard response that DSTV had had a problem on “certain decoders” and instructions on how to resolve the issue. I managed to follow the instructions well enough to get my 141 channels resolved but did not have sound. I finally did a rewire job on the decoder by removing the AV cables to the HiFi and using them on the TV and all was resolved.

David – my houseboy – had also phoned the local DSTV agent and he came over at around 6pm and after fiddling with the PAL settings – seems that PAL 1 if different to PAL 2 – I had sound without using the AV cables.

All was good in my life – fark – DSTV is the sum total of my social life at the moment.

That said – we did go for drinks last week Friday and I was home by 7.30pm. *sigh*

We have arranged drinks with some of the mine lads this week Friday.

Last weekend I worked the weekend as my to do list was long! Had I known that I have managed to kill it so soon, I would have played golf on Sunday. I need to play golf – we have a company sponsored golf day on the 29th May and I will be expected to hit the little white ball. Considering the last time I played was 7 holes in February when the heat got to me – playing 18 holes on Sunday is going to be a tad challenging...

We have also arranged our second “think tank” for the weekend of the 4-5th of June. It gives us all a chance to get together and work on where we are going and how we going to get there!

It is now lunch time – and I am going to eat my cottage pie.

You have fun now

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home