Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Sunday - Sunday - whoo hooo hooo

Tis another Sunday in the Jungle and life is made so much more interesting by the fact I continue to feel somewhat off – but loads better then on Friday – and do not have an air conditioner in my office. My aircon has gone to aircon heaven and we have to wait a while before I can buy a new one. So sweating is the name of the game!

I do suppose people pay good money to have a sauna, and here I am getting it for free. *chuckle*

The workshop is as busy as hell, and we had a meeting yesterday morning to discuss the jobs in hand and who was doing what. Just hearing the lads and how they are willing to take on stuff makes me smile and know what a great team we have here.

I was due to see two clients yesterday. One to discuss some work and the other to go through some invoices that he was unclear about. Well Client #1 was on a mission. Three hours later, I walked out of the plant, head swimming and needing to quote of 12 – yes 12!!! Additional jobs. I am still hammering out cost summaries today, and this will go on until tomorrow – where I still have to go see client #2.

I start my last week here and given the amount of stuff I have to do before Thursday it should flash by!



Running through the media I came across an interesting article that makes my blood boil. Headed “We will not develop NDC Strongholds”, it attributes statements to the NPP Regional Organiser which in effect states those areas that did not elect a NPP candidate will not have any funds allocated to them to develop those areas.

Democracy – Africa style – at it’s finest! A democratic party would censure the commentator. I will not hold my breath for that to happen.

An interesting advert from the VAT office, warns all VAT registered persons that the VAT service Ladies Assoc. will embark on a nationwide debt collection exercise. What interests me is they actually have a VAT Services Ladies Association and they are empowered to collect debts. I await their arrival with interest. (We are up to date with our VAT btw *chuckle*)

A published court order in the local press provided and order to settle of debt of some GHC 100,000,000. (R75,000). That was not the fun part, the fun part was the court also provided for the defendant to pay interest of 12% per MONTH. This was despite the original loan agreement providing for interest at 12% per quarter. Methinks someone is confused and it may be a learned individual.

Do I have much more news? Nope! Nothing – Nada!

So I go now !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home