Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Monday, April 04, 2005

Manic Monday!!! (with the lurgy!)

A small Lurgy sneaked into my window yesterday and attacked me while I was napping on the couch. These lurgies are devious creatures and wait until you are not watching before they sneak up on you. The fact my eyes were closed and odds are I was snoring fit to attract said Lurgy was enough reason.

Resultant effects, sinus blocked slid, sore throat and a head thumper which is fine when you have had a piss up of note the night before, but not much fun when the strongest thing I had to drink yesterday was bottled water.

I am an unhappy child!!

This week promises to be a busy one, with Albert off on his R&R come Wednesday and a tender to be completed by our lads in SA and delivered on Friday. SO you say – the SA lads are doing the tender, why is it such an issue to you!

Well the client – bless his little cotton socks – has set up a site meeting on Thursday and stated the tender shall be in on Friday. All this means I cannot go to the site meeting, return to the office and, on Friday, drop off the tender. I travel on Wednesday and come back either Friday or Saturday. Joys of living six hours by road from the main business centre.

I am out of respect for him and his office going to mention the death of Pope John Paul II and may he legacy live on. The television has been having program after program on his life, and I shuddered when I realised – well was reminded really – that he had been a pope for over 26 years. It makes me realise I am a bit of an old toppie cause I can remember him been elected pope after the last lad died under mysterious circumstances 31 odd days into his papacy.

We had a wonderful article in today’s Graphic about the Axim-Tarkwa road. This is the one that leads to the beach and subject of many a blog as to the poor condition. Well there has been roadwork’s by Taysec which apparently started in June 2003 and was due for completion in June 2005. According to Taysec the road is 67% complete.

Once again I blink my little eyes and ponder the vagaries of a % complete job. The road they are building is some 65 kilometers. Given that 0.65km does not equal 1% - I am not a silly lad and know that some parts are easier to build then others, one would expect some 30kms (46%) of the road to be complete. Or even 70% of the road to have been worked on. The basic fact that seemed to elude the Western Regional Minister is that some 10 km MAXIMUM has been tarred and some 10km Maximum graded. The remaining 40 odd kilometers are as they were two years ago, subject to a further two years of no maintenance and heavy vehicles.

The minister’s response - He commended the company for their good work so far…..

The company now has applied for an extension of time, which as we all (now) know in construction circles adds a hefty amount onto the contract in the named P’s & G’s

The pleasurable trip to the beach will not be seen in my time.

I actually watched “The Incredible Hulk” last night on Mnet. I must have been really desperate cause I have not, in a long long time, forced myself to watch such unmitigated shit! God help us if the loons that did this one decide on a “Hulk 2”

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

Time to get that plane so u can fly down to the beach ? ;)

u mean u never saw hulk 2 ? *shock*horror*

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home