Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Friday, May 13, 2005

I'm Baaaack

You know you are back in Ghana when:

1. You get off the plane and start sweating before you reach the bus
2. You approach the car from the wrong side cause you have just got used to driving a right hand drive car
3. You have to remember to turn the water heater on if you want hot water the next morning.
4. You spend a large portion of the trip back home dodging pot holes
5. Your only contact with home is a phone
6. You realise it will be July before you have nookie again
7. Email and JDE is as slow as can be
8. It takes you 15 mins to get to work in the morning at an average speed of 30kmph and you spent most of it dodging the pot holes again
9. You start listening to CD’s again, instead of 702
10. You have no water in the morning
11. It is 26 degrees in the morning when you wake up
12. You wake up at 5:30am
13. You get to work at 7:00am
14. You leave work at 6:00pm
15. Food tastes kak and there is a lot of it
16. You fall asleep by 9:00pm
17. The cell network is busy

As you can see, I have arrived back in Ghana for my next stint. I enjoyed the trip down south immensely and even though I worked 14 days out of the 21 days I was home, the fact that all the “luxuries” that were available to me was a stunner! All that and regular nookie!! What more can a man want:

I managed to eat a lot of bacon, sushi, Nando’s, cherry tomatoes and pork chops. This of course has resulted in visible expansion to the (ever expanding) waist line. Once again I wax lyrical about losing weight this stint. It will remain to be seen if that will actually be the case.

We slept in a different hotel – Paloma- as the Regency was full, and once again the room was basic, the water pressure non existent and thanks to me forgetting to turn the water heater on, cold as well. I have some pics of the hotel, and as you can see it is fairly run down and basic. All this for USD60.00 a night.

Meetings in Accra and Takoradi the next day saw me arrive in Tarkwa at 6:00pm – a tired little bunny which showed by lights out before 9pm.

I have two lads staying in my house for a while. This will be the case for around three weeks or so before I am back to my peace and quiet.

Getting back to work was pretty good, and it is head down for the next stint before I can look forward to another furlough back home.

The workshop is a neat as a pin and everything is running pretty smoothly all things considered.

As I type this I have reverted to my TV schedule and am taking in the SA/Windies one dayer, while skipping to JAG. The phones are not working – appears the bill was not paid while I was away – and the cell network is busy.

As I said - I must be back in Ghana 

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

A cold shower in the morning is still better than having to dunk your head in a bucket of water ;)
Remember to drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home