Missive from parts of Africa

A light hearted and sometimes serious look at moving 6000km into a place in Africa: April 2007. Promoted back to South Africa, the missive will continue to track my foray's into deepest Africa as and when I get there.

Name:
Location: Joburg, Africa, South Africa

Friday, February 17, 2006

The Jungle has not changed!

Back into the Jungle and having to get used to the heat, humidity and problems with getting water out of taps to carry out ones daily ablution.

After almost two months at home, we were blessed with an empty flight to Accra. I had three seats to myself and was able to stretch out and read for the entire flight. I even managed to nap.

That said, the flight was delayed for an hour due to “the plane been lost”. We had a skipper with a sense of humor and addressed us as “ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls”. The “security” requirements of flying to the USA required additional security measures in place when boarding and as the plane was parked at the opposite end of the airport, we could not board until it had been moved to a “secure” gate.

The buggers insisted on confiscating lighters – one day someone will explain to me why they have a phobia about having lighters on a plane to the USA – but I was wise to their tricks and managed to secret mine away so at least when we landed I could light up a well needed ciggie.

Apparently the house in Accra had a power surge while I was away which cooked most of the electrical items in the house. Water was an issue as the house is fed by a pressure pump. One fridge is cooked and aircons are not as effective as they can be.

I am back in Ghana!

Getting used to driving on the “wrong” side of the road again and it always amazes me how a conscious thought process has to take place when I am driving. My car has been fixed from its mishaps while I was away and it appears the only the wheel alignment remains an issue.

I have a load to do as a start, and it looks as if the first 10 days back will be spent on the road. I am in Accra today, off to Tarkwa on Friday, Obuasi – Sunday, Newmont – Monday, Tarkwa Wednesday and back to Accra over the weekend.

Best I have the wheel alignment seen to today.

On going through the local newspapers today. There is nothing of interest to anyone!

You have a fun day all.

Oh yes – We do not have internet at the residence again. But then again – with my ISP – what is new!

Growl!

1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

You've been spoiled the last 2 months ;)

As long as the aircon in the car is working!!

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home